EXTENDED warranty

ajpslp

:
CX 9
Ok so i took out my bill of sale and all paperwork for my 2010 Mazda CX-9.. At dealer Sansone NJ- I purchased an extended warranty for 7 yrs - 72k miles. BUT its from Autoplus- Pheonix American Warranty Company.. I got the Premier coverage with zero deductible Price I paid for this service was $1041. A few questions:
1) did anyone else purchase a similar or same warranty, and if so any paperwork come in mail ?
2) anyone recently try to use this service and was it a headache?
3) didnt mazada themselves offer an extended warranty ?
4) Did i get ripped off ?
just called them (800#) and not even in system..... ughhhh now what, ?

There's a thread on here on different warranties, prices and the Mazda/Ford Warranty site. Just do a search

Also, you should have a grace period (30 days or so) to cancel the warranty and get your money back as long as you have not had a claim.

(I got the AAA on my CX-9 and the Mazda/Ford on my CX-7)

Yes. Mazda sell ext warranty on-line themselves.
mazda-mepp.com
It is usually cheaper than what you get at dealerships.
However, still too expensive to my likings.
7yr/100K Total Care (best warranty coverage) => $1950 for GT AWD

Avoid 3rd party ext warranty since
- they usually need "pre-authorization" - not possible on holidays when they are closed
- the coverage is usually not as good
- once your total repair (policy lifetime) exceeds a threshold (good for you and bad for them),
they start to find troubles with you, asking to wait for technician to visually inspect your car before authorization.
That takes time and slows down the repair. No one will pay for rentals if it is not on the policy.
- finally, they might close shop when your policy is still in effect leaving you holding an empty bag....

Last edited:
On your policy not being in their system, it will generally take a month or so for the warranty company to have it. If you want to get a refund within the grace period, you probably need to go abck through the dealership.

mazda-mepp.com

Avoid 3rd party ext warranty since
- they usually need "pre-authorization" - not possible on holidays when they are closed
- once your total repair (policy lifetime) exceeds a threshold (good for you and bad for them),
they start to find troubles with you, asking to wait for technician to visually inspect your car before authorization.
That takes time and slows down the repair. No one will pay for rentals if it is not on the policy.
- finally, they might close shop when your policy is still in effect leaving you holding an empty bag....

That $1950 price seems high, even for a Mazda warranty.

For reference, I recently purchased the Lexus Platinum extended warranty 8yr/75K mile (I don't drive much) from a Toyota dealer for $1415. The same warranty will cost me $2200 in local Lexus dealer, so shop around for the best factory warranty price.

Finally got some stuff straightened out.... Ok American Phoenix warranty is still not active , it takes 60 days to get on their system.. Warranty I paid for only covers what ford / mazda says last for xx amount of yrs. So if mazda says battery has a life span of say 5 years, in the 6th yr , battery goes bad, american phoenix will say sorry we wont cover this.. This is what Mazda (MEEP) stated.
MEEP quotes were .. sit down... dont yell at me this is their prices--
7 yr / 60k miles-$$2143
7yr / 75 k miles -$$2332
I couldnt believe it when they told me that. My car has 900 miles on it and is a 2010 ..
Sounds absurd no ? thoughts? suggestions ? I can cancel my other warranty and apply it to MEEP but need to put up another 1k.. Not sure its worth the money...
Al

This is what Mazda (MEEP) stated.
MEEP quotes were .. sit down... dont yell at me this is their prices--
7 yr / 60k miles-$$2143
7yr / 75 k miles -$$2332
Al

See the e-mail below of a gentleman who tried very hard to sell me ext warranty.
He called me after I applied for a quote on mazda-mepp.com.
The quote to me was
7yr/100K for $1950 for AWD GT, Total Care (best Mazda coverage)
No lies.
If you need it, send e-mail to
Marc.Pandolfi (AT) mazda-mepp.com

See the e-mail below of a gentleman who tried very hard to sell me ext warranty.
He called me after I applied for a quote on mazda-mepp.com.
The quote to me was
7yr/100K for $1950 for AWD GT, Total Care (best Mazda coverage)
No lies.
If you need it, send e-mail to
Marc.Pandolfi (AT) mazda-mepp.com

Are these worth getting? That price seems awesome compared to what the dealer quoted (which I turned down).

How do you make a warranty claim when something is not bought from a dealer? All I have ever used is whatever the sales person cons me into.

That is the beauty of "genuine Mazda warranty" compared to 3rd party's.
You don't "make claim" yourself.
The dealer will take care of the paper works.
You may or may not pay the deductible (depending on the policy).

Note that Mazda has 5yr/60K on powertrain. Your 7yr/100K effectively only pays for
- 4yr/64K on non-powertrain elements
- 2yr/40K on powertrain elements

Mazda's Total Care is closest to OE bumper-to-Bumper, but still not the same.
Some tear and wear items are covered but not all. It is, however, much better than
any 3rd party coverage by far.

If you can withstand the unexpected expenditure of a couple thousands in worst case scenario, you
don't need ext warranty. Statistically, you lose money on ext warranty. That is the same for most any
reasonable warranty or insurance policies. It is a rather personal financial decision to make yourself.

so here it goes, sent my sales rep an email saying "my wife and I cannot afford the warranty at this time , and I truly wanted to but cant get the money up for it, thanks for your time" After I hit the send button from my phone , 8 seconds went by, then the pohne call from rep. She stated some crazy story about "I can write your policy from a different entity of our company as we have 2 or three different sides to our offices... I didnt understnd any of it but she stated "I think u will like these prices better. " After a few seconds she stated $1208 for 7 yr / 60 k miles or $1310 for 7yr / 75k miles. I almost fell over while shopping at the mall. How does it go down 1k almost to the penny.... I asked about 5 x about is it a MEPP plan and all paperwork will have MEPP stuff on it , she said yes. She kindly emailed it to me so now going to call dealer and try to get my $1041 applied to it.. should be fun ... but just a quick email saved me 1k :)))!!! Wierd !!!

ALL DONE !! thank goodness .. $1201 for Total care MEPP .. She emailed me the quotes , i reviewed them and called old dealer. they are transsfering money to Mazda MEPP and i had to pay like $160 . WHAT a STEAL!! Great service and great rep so nice and quick responses!

The prices are cheaper on FWD and more expensive if you have a GT model.
ajpslp, if you have a GT AWD, then, your price is the best I have heard of.
My best quote was (for GT AWD) (MEPP, Total Care)
- ~$1500 for 7yr/75K
- ~$1950 for 7yr/100K
Just FYI

ALL DONE !! thank goodness .. $1201 for Total care MEPP .. She emailed me the quotes , i reviewed them and called old dealer. they are transsfering money to Mazda MEPP and i had to pay like $160 . WHAT a STEAL!! Great service and great rep so nice and quick responses!

Good for you! (cool) Shop around is truely the key if you want to save $. My post below was a prime example, I don't believe Mazda warranty costs more than Lexus... your price seems more reasonable now for what you get.

That $1950 price seems high, even for a Mazda warranty.

For reference, I recently purchased the Lexus Platinum extended warranty 8yr/75K mile (I don't drive much) from a Toyota dealer for $1415. The same warranty will cost me $2200 in local Lexus dealer, so shop around for the best factory warranty price.

My dealer tried getting me to get one from them, it is from Advantage from a 3rd party for a $100 deduct dissapearing at that dealer, 6yr 75k for $1,900. I said that sounds pretty high, and declined. So I called up Mazda direct. The got me the (Mazda) MEEP $0 deduct, 6yr 75k for $1380! And I got the total care, whichever was the best one they sell! It covers the car, wheels, tires, roadside! I called my local dealer back and told them what I got, they didn't belive me a first, but I showed them the info. I said why would I pay more for yours, that is worse and only $0 deduct at your dealer!! I can go anywhere now!!!

From what I have gathered, MEPP seems to offer the following deals
- 6yr/75K = $1380 (to travislipe)
- 7yr/75K = $1550 (to me)
- 7yr/100K = $1950 (to me)
So, these are baseline pricing for $0 deductible, GENUINE MAZDA TotalCare.

Remember that OE warranty is
- bumper-to-bumper: 3yr/36K
- powertrain: 5yr/60K
Keep that in mind.

mazda-mepp.com

Avoid 3rd party ext warranty since - they usually need "pre-authorization" - not possible on holidays when they are closed

+1 I had one on my MSP and never again will I ever get another one. I spent roughly 1.2k for a 3yr 36k. The catch is that everything is covered BUT little crap that causes other issues... IE: My Master/Slave clutch cylinders were going out which caused me to miss shift, the car not shift at all randomly, ect.. ect.. Which resulted in my trans getting tore up. Now the warrently normally covers the trans repair however due to the fact that the issue was caused by a non-covered part it voids the warrenty on the trans. Thankfully with me they found out about the master/slave clutch cylinders after they already approved the work on the trand and rebuilt it. SO they can't renig on that! I was saved by a over sight on the tech part.

This is good info, as I'm considering extending the warranty on our 9. We don't put much mileage on it, so it's the years I'm after.

Back