2010 CX 9 Touring Tires

ajpslp

:
CX 9
Not sure if this is a repeat post but couldnt find it .. I have a 2010 Touring CX 9 with Bridgestone tires. I have no idea what model etc. They were stock OEM tires. Are these the tires that people say are not good in the snow / rain ? Or are the Bridgestones ok? Being a huge blizzard here in NY area want to know prior to testing them out ... if i need to go out

that is what i have 18 inch rims with bridgestone duellers. Are these tires good in snow ? I guess i forgot to tell u that they were 18 inches..

GT have the same width of tires (all 245s). It is just lower profile (shorter side wall) to compensate for bigger wheels (20" vs 18").
On snow, you don't want your tires to be too wide.
The Duellers are so-so on snow (usable if you drive carefully).
Spec-X handles much better than most, if not all, all seasons ones, but can't match snow tires, still.
Yoko keeps raising price on Spec-X. It is just that popular and hard to get.

I just had my first chance to drive in snow today with the stock 20" Bridgestones. I must say that I was prepared for feeling like I would be driving on slicks based on the amount of criticism of the OEM tires on this forum but frankly the performance was virtually the same as I had with my ML320 and good Michelin all season tires. They are all season tires obviously so not ideal but I had no trouble starting or stopping. No doubt it would have been nice to have 18" narrower profile Blizzaks but the stock tires did fine in the snow and have been far better than the Michelins in dry conditions.

Last edited:
Just an update to my previous post. I drove 200 miles yesterday from Boston to the Sunday River Ski area in Maine within 24 hours of a blizzard that dumped about 18 inches of snow on the region. The interstate was dry but the local roads varied from patchy snow to snow covered mountain secondary roads. I had zero issues with traction, braking or handling using the stock Bridgestones. Car was very stable and never skid or slipped on the drive even on snow covered mountain roads. I did specifically go to a snow covered (about three inches) empty parking lot just to test the limits of traction and found the CX9 handled just about exactly as I remembered my ML320 with Michelin all seasons did.

I'm not arguing that the OEM tires are equivalent to snow tires but simply that the Bridgestone bashing that goes on here is a bit hysterical. The tires are competent if you are experienced driving in snow and if you are not I doubt any tire is safe.

I had no problem with Duellers when I had them on for a skiing trip.
However, others have complained about the traction going up snow covered slopes.
The Spec-Xs are simply better on snow and ice.

You are comparing Duellers to Michelins.
Personally, I don't buy Michelins because they are OK tires, but too expensive.
I have several vehicles that came with Michelin tires (e.g. Honda Odyssey) new from factories.
Even my wife could tell the differences when I switched the tires to better (and cheaper) ones.
That speaks for something because my wife can't tell a minivan from a CUV.... She knows nothing
about automobiles.

Ceric,

Your wife doesn't NEED to know the difference between a minivan or a CUV. That's why she married you? You know all that stuff.....and all along you thought it was your good looks!

I too drove around town in NYC in the 30 plus inches we received. I had zero slipping and sliding. Went up a few hills with snow covered streets with no problems . I was very impressed with handling of the vehicle.

I had no problem with Duellers when I had them on for a skiing trip.
However, others have complained about the traction going up snow covered slopes.
The Spec-Xs are simply better on snow and ice. .

I live in Boston. I drive in actual snow about ten days a year. The rest is mostly on wet or dry pavement as streets are cleared quickly so performance on pavement 355 days a year is more important to me. If I lived in an area where I had more snow days I would probably use snow tires for three months a year.

Anecdotes about how drivers can distinguish between new Spec X vs worn out Duellers just doesn't tell me much. I don't think I can recall how a car handled twenty or thirty thousand miles ago well enough to make a valid comparison. I certainly agree that it is easy to perceive a difference in how a car handles with new tires but I'd need more carefully collected data to convince me that one was significantly better than another.

I live out near Worcester and the roads aren't as clean as those within the city. In fact one of the years I didn't go with dedicated snows was when I worked in Boston and took the Pike to work everyday. Unfortunately my wife wasn't so lucky and got stuck several times. Out west secondary roads in particular are usually plowed but not down to the pavement. They also don't appear to treat the roads as much so every night there a good chance those snow covered roads will get icy. I find the most dangerous aspects of winter driving is transitioning between the clean roads and snow covered roads since you can get lulled into a false sense of security. Just the other day I saw a car overshoot their stop sign because they didn't allow for enough braking distance on snow covered roads. Like most people say All Season tires are mostly a compromise. Unfortunately having all seasons in the NE is better than dedicated summers IMO since freezing temps come sooner than snow does most years. Summers would just harden up. Not to mention those freak spring snow storms that may pop up in May!

Back