Another Warranty Question

I bought my wife a used 2008 CX9 touring about 4 months ago and it now has 24000 miles and so far no problems. I bought it from a Mercury dealer so its not a certified used Mazda.Like all my cars I will keep this for about 8 years or more. What are my options on an extended warranty for this car and would it be worth it? And does anyone know the about cost on these programs?

A 7yr/100K Total-Care coverage from mazda MEPP is about $1950.
(best grade of coverage from Mazda)

Buying ext warranty is a personal financial decision.
You make the call yourself based on how much risk you feel comfortable with.

Based on the recent issue of ConsumersReport, CX9 is reliability is above Honda Pilot.
That should give you some comfort in owning one as far as reliability is concerned.

to add to the discussion: when our standard warranty was expiring we had multiple repeat calls from an outside company to sell us extended warranty. (apperently someone has passed on the personal information) We had already made the decision to NOT extend and those guys became nearly agrressive. After looking on the internet we discover that these guys are very unreliable. E.g. when something happens during extended warranty they are even more aggressive and un-polite and not answering calls/letters etc. My advice would be if you really want it... discuss with a certified Mazda dealer directly, don' fall for orhter options: they just want your money.

Exactly, paulvha.
Avoid 3rd party ext warranty if you decide to go with ext warranty.
Buy only the genuine factory ext warranty by shopping for the lowest price you get find.
According to the guy I talked to, only MAZDA corporate sells the Mazda-MEPP ext warranty.
The one you buy from dealerships is most likely the same, but with some premium on it.
He was very tough on pricing, and said Mazda has the best complete coverage (inc. wear and tear - such as suspension components)
therefore, the high price. So, you make your own calls.

Interested in the discussion of ext warranty? Read the edmunds.com thread I started.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1848f0/37

Also look to see if your insurance company offeres any kind of extended warranty. I know some of them do.

you should definitely purchase warranty before 25000 miles. I talked to a rep and she said after 25000 the price goes up DRAMATICALLY. Under 25000, a 5year/100K miles was 1250 after 25000, it goes up to 1690..It pays to do it early

Although I agree that having a Mazda extended warranty is nice, there are some other reliable options. AAA has an extended warranty program and I think that would be a pretty safe bet. Cheaper than Mazda's too. I'd certainly stay away from the internet marketed stand alone extended warranties.

Back