What size new tires for a 2010 AWD Touring? (Going to get Parada Spec-X)

LordJezo

Should I stick with the original sized tires or change them up? The original sized seem very light, only 32 pounds, is that fine or should I +1 them and use the same rims?

Should I stick with the original sized tires or change them up? The original sized seem very light, only 32 pounds, is that fine or should I +1 them and use the same rims?

Of course you want to stick to the stock size. Since you have a touring, then it should be 245/60/18. Going +1 is going to throw off the readings in your speedo. Use this http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp to do the math.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Parada+Spec-X&partnum=46HR8PSX&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Mazda&autoYear=2010&autoModel=CX-9&autoModClar=Touring AWD Tire Racks has the size of the tire you want for the Paradas. Tire weight does not matter as long as you don't go over the max load capacity.

+1 just means you are using a larger rim. To compensate for overall circumference, the sidewall of the tire must be shorter.

You can't "plus 1" with the same rims.

Go to the tire rack website and see the conversion chart. It will list all combinations of rims and tires that will work for your vehicle.

Tire weight is the weight of the tire itself. Nothing to do with max load, which is how much weight you could put on a tire.
(i.e. total weight of vehicle + loads divided by 4 and adjusted by weight distribution, about 55/45 for CX9)

I would suggest sticking with OE size. Tires of the same spec can also differ in diameter by 1/4". tirerack.com has all the
detailed specs of each tire. Tire weight can vary up to 2 lbs. Lighter is only better if they are constructed similarly.
However, usually either sidewall is thinner or a steel belt layer is replaced by polymer. Check spec carefully when making
the decision.

P.S. "plus 0" is keeping the same rim, adding width, reduce sidewall ratio: e.g 265/45/R20 from 245/50/R20

I'll stick with the OEM size then.

Picking it up tonight, I want to rip the stock tires off as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Also, do you think I could sell the originals on eBay or Craigslist? Something really cheap, I was thinking $200 for a set of tires with less than 1,000 miles on them. Think anyone would bite or should I just let the tire joint dispose of them?

I'll stick with the OEM size then.

Picking it up tonight, I want to rip the stock tires off as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Also, do you think I could sell the originals on eBay or Craigslist? Something really cheap, I was thinking $200 for a set of tires with less than 1,000 miles on them. Think anyone would bite or should I just let the tire joint dispose of them?

You could get that easily just by trading them in to a dealership if they are unused.

Yeah I second Wisconsin Proud's point. I was able to do the same with my CX-9. The dealership allowed me to swap out the OEM Bridgestones for Toyo's.

Now all I need to do is find the Yokos.

Tirerack has them on back order, local places say the same. Where else can I get them?

Tirerack told me the same thing...I ordered through http://www.tires-easy.com/start.html a little more expensive than tirerack BUT the delivered in 3 days!

How long did it take between submitting your order and getting the product? 3 day shipping but how long until they shipped?

I will give them a shot.

I wonder if the Spec-Xs are at the end of their production life, if so there will need to be another go to tire for the CX9

How long did it take between submitting your order and getting the product? 3 day shipping but how long until they shipped?

I will give them a shot.

I wonder if the Spec-Xs are at the end of their production life, if so there will need to be another go to tire for the CX9

Honestly, you should have went with winter tires instead of getting another set of all season tires. Now you have nothing for days like you will face tomorrow!!

I was going to but the Blizzaks that I wanted are sold out across the country. Instead of making due I'll go with the Yokos this year, drive extra carefully, and order the Birdgestones next September or October when they come back in stock.

I must say that I really don't understand the fuss about the OEM tires. I appreciate that spending a lot more can get you a better tire but there seems to be a lot of urban myth about how bad the Bridgestone stock tires are. I wouldn't have any trouble deciding to use better tires once the OEMs had worn out but tossing decent tires with 1000 miles on them???? What are you guys doing with your vehicles that require an extra 0.03G force or whatever you think you are getting for your $800-1000?

Last edited:
What are you guys doing with your vehicles that require an extra 0.03G force or whatever you think you are getting for your $800-1000?

Unborn child as a second passenger, $800 is nothing at all to me in keeping the wife just a little bit safer as she drives the car on a daily basis.

No one in their right mind should "toss" the OEMs in favor of a winter tire. The solution is to buy a dedicated winter tire & wheel combo and spend an hour swapping them before the snow season. Of course, one would need a place to store the other set. This process not only gives one a little more peace of mind when loved ones are facing the perils of winter travel, but extends the life (in terms of time) of the OEMs by the total amount of months on the snows over several seasons. For myself, the peace of mind advantage is worth the price of the wheels and, optionally, TPMS sensors which in reality is the only additional expense.

No one in their right mind should "toss" the OEMs in favor of a winter tire. The solution is to buy a dedicated winter tire & wheel combo and spend an hour swapping them before the snow season. Of course, one would need a place to store the other set. This process not only gives one a little more peace of mind when loved ones are facing the perils of winter travel, but extends the life (in terms of time) of the OEMs by the total amount of months on the snows over several seasons. For myself, the peace of mind advantage is worth the price of the wheels and, optionally, TPMS sensors which in reality is the only additional expense.

Not only that, but by changing tires it is a built in tire rotation you would normally do anyway.

I am a big supporter of Spec-X, but I wouldn't go as far as throwing perfectly new Duellers away.
I used mine for 20K before I replaced them a bit earlier than necessary.
Now that I have experienced both, Spec-Xs are definitely much better on wet, snow and ice.
The tirerack.com review/ranking does not lie.
So many people have put in their comments about their experiences.

I 100% agree about getting separate snow tires if one lives in snowy area.

Duellers are good summer (dry/wet) tires. Actually, they might be slightly better
than Spec-Xs on dry pavement, but it is marginal at best.

It's not only about extra grip taking a corner but also extra safety margin when it comes to braking and accelerating at any temperature. I've driven long enough to know that tires do make all the difference. Sure snows won't save an idiot, but they WILL give a good driver that extra edge when some idiot brakes late or does some stupid manuever. It just happened to me this morning on snow covered roads. A guy in an Audi TT decided to take a left at the last minute when there was solar glare compromising my vision. I was only going 30mph, but I would have slid into him had my car not been able to get around him. This was in my 2010 Mz6 with Firestone Winterforce tires. I know from experience that the standard Micheline MMXV's would not have enabled me to change direction so fast. There was one year where I decided to go with all seasons and regretted it. My wife got stuck multiple times and driving on snow covered roads was a white knuckled experience. I was almost going to make the same mistake on my new CX-9 this year (rationalizing that AWD and All seasons would be adequate for one season) until Wisconsin Proud woke me up. As WP and Lord Enzo point out $800 bucks is cheap security especially if your able to prevent spending 500-1000 deductible on an accident. Not to mention the fact that a car is never the same after an acccident.

Back