No Sound from Radio

Well had the car 5 weeks or so, When start the car there is no sound from the radio deck for 4 to 5 minutes then it kicks in , Any one else had this problem? I guess its covered by warranty?

Last edited:
Ya know.... now that you mention it... yes. It seems to be directly linked to extremely cold nights. I can recall two times that the radio kinda startled me on my way to work... just kinda came on all of the sudden. I can imagine you have some pretty cold nights up there in Calgary? If it's pretty much every morning, my suggestion would be to drop the wife's car at the dealer overnight, ride up in the morning and have a tech come out and observe the problem. They won't likely just take your word and give you a new radio (or whatever is causing the problem).

I posted in the lounge section to say this happened to me. I received a call from the dealer saying that I would be getting a recall notice shortly to replace the stereo and that they have one in stock when im ready to have it replaced.

my 09 in EU has a similar issues that the radio does not start right away to work, maybe after its warmed up. but my '11 has no issues

Just got my "Audio System SSP 83 letter in the mail today. Symptom is no audio sound when ambient temp. is +14F (-10C) or less.

Havent got ours yet guess its on its way. So what work will Mazda do just swap it out?

Yes, but as it's been pointed out in another thread, unless it's really been an issue, you shouldn't jump right on the repair. Give the techs time to practice on some not-so-patient Mazda2 owners so that the probability of your dash and faceplate getting scratched is reduced.

Got my letter the other day too. Haven't had the need to get it done yet. It's nice and warm here. No snow for us.

That is pretty bad of dealer. I know my recall letter actually stated that they would cover the cost of a rental if I needed one.
I went to the dealer yesterday for an oil change because I got an email from the dealer saying it was time for one. I have had the car 3 months but only have 1175 miles on it. When I got there the service guy says I didnt need to get it changed until six months, especially with the low miles. I told him maybe it was better not to send me correspondence telling me to come in then!!
Anyway he said they could take care of the recall while I was there. It took about an hour and they did a good job of replacing the radio. No scratches or rattles so Im happy.

You can go to any mazda dealer, if your not happy with the one your using I would go elsewhere..

Back