OEM HID Conversion Help

lfsglass

:
'09 CX-9
Hello members!!! I'm new to this site and I need assistance.

I'm attempting a HID conversion on my Halogen equipped '09 CX-9. I purchased complete (used) OEM headlight assemblies from a HID equipped CX-9.

I purchased two OEM headlight housings and the ballasts. The OEM HID ballast has it's own connector but my halogen equipped vehicle doesn't have that connector/wiring.

Ballast & Igniter:
Ballast.jpg

Ballast Connector:
ballastconnector.jpg

HID Headlight Main Connector:
HIDconnector.jpg

(Brown wire & White wire run to a component only found on the HID assembly):
HIDMotor.jpg

Halogen Headlight Main Connector:
HalogenConnector.jpg

(red wire runs to halogen bulb):
HalogenBulbConnector.jpg

Last edited:
Don't you have to purchase the headlights as well? The halogen headlights do not come pre-wired to accept the OEM ballast and igniter AFAIK.

Don't you have to purchase the headlights as well? The halogen headlights do not come pre-wired to accept the OEM ballast and igniter AFAIK.

As mentioned above, I purchased complete (used) OEM headlight assemblies from a HID equipped CX-9. I need to figure out how to connect them into the factory halogen equiped wiring. I suspect the red and black wires (power and ground wires) that currently connect to the halogen bulbs can be rerouted and connected to the ballast......but I need confirmation. I also need to find out what the extra component (that the brown and white wires connect to) on the HID assemblies is for and how to connect that properly.

Take a paper and put next to each other a top row : A C E G, bottom row B D F H ( with the B under the A) A= black = ground , B = green = turnlight, C= light yellow= parking light, D= headlight low, E = headlight leveling, F = headlight leveling, G = headlight High, H = ground. The current halogen are between A and D. The HID should be connect on the same A and D and you need to remove the current wires to the halogen connector.

Take a paper and put next to each other a top row : A C E G, bottom row B D F H ( with the B under the A) A= black = ground , B = green = turnlight, C= light yellow= parking light, D= headlight low, E = headlight leveling, F = headlight leveling, G = headlight High, H = ground. The current halogen are between A and D. The HID should be connect on the same A and D and you need to remove the current wires to the halogen connector.

Should I connect the red and black wires in the last photo (that currently connect to the halogen bulb) to the two prongs on the ballast in photo 2?

Does anyone have a photo of the HID headlight adjustment switch? Is the switch mount on the dash somewhere? Does any have a photo of the wires that connect to the switch?

reply on OEM HID conversion

yes you should use the red and black wires that are/were going to the halogen light before, Attached some information from the headlight leveling switch.

Attachments

• HL2.JPG
    HL2.JPG
    853.3 KB · Views: 242
  • HL-switch.jpg
    HL-switch.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 199
yes you should use the red and black wires that are/were going to the halogen light before, Attached some information from the headlight leveling switch.

I would assume aftermarket HID kits are adjustable at the headlight. Wiring up the adjustment switch looks more complicated than I thought. Do you know if the OEM HID's can be manually adjusted at the headlight as well?

I would not know. To be honest I have never used the headlight leveling switch, other than to make sure that the light as shining down in the lowest position. I am sure there is a law around this.. but I have not seen the benefit of the system..

Back