Looking for recommendations on a brake fluid bleeder / pump.

4wardmotion

:
'08 CX-9 Sport AWD
I'd like to purchase a pump assembly so I can change my own brake fluid on the 9.
Has anyone purchased one that works on the 9 that they would recommend? I've never owned or used one before, but I've been told it's not difficult to do. Hopefully I'll also be able to use it on our other vehicle as well....a Ford Explorer.

Thanks folks!

I got the Mity-Vac from harbor freight many years ago for about $15. It's a little hand pump that allows you to draw fluid into a small container and comes with various rubber attachments and a plastic tube.

I got the Mity-Vac from harbor freight many years ago for about $15. It's a little hand pump that allows you to draw fluid into a small container and comes with various rubber attachments and a plastic tube.

Excuse my ignorance, but....
Are there 2 ways to accomplish the same thing when it comes to changing brake fluid??......'suck it out' at the caliper or 'pump it in' at the fluid reservoir bottle?? I thought I would be pumping the new fluid through the system and bleeding it out at the calipers, no??

I've only done this on my motorcycle, but I didn't even have to use a special tool (no pump or vacuum) with that.

I don't know how you would pump it at the reservoir bottle. The way I've always done it is for a one person operation, you can use the mity vac to suck it out at the caliper. You just need to make sure that the fluid level in the reservoir does not go too low and keep topping it up. And make sure to shut the cap to the reservoir or else you may get brake fluid all over.

The other way is the 2 man method which I learned as a young kid.
Have your helper pump the brake pedal a few times and hold, then you open the valve at the caliper and the brake pedal will go to the floor. You close the valve and your helper releases the brake pedal. Repeat until the fluid coming out of the valve is clear. Always make sure that the reservoir does not go empty.

That's the 2 ways that I know how to do it. I have not done it for the CX9 so I'm not sure what is the sequence.

I thought my buddy says that's how he does it on his BMW.......maybe he's doing it wrong! :)

Thanks for the reply. I'll pick up one of those tools and try this........just wish it was warmer around here.

brake bleeder pump

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

Motive sells a pump that connects to the brake fluid reservoir (make sure to get right adapter) that allows for one person to do danz75's two-man version. There's a nice demo video on their site. I've used it on my wife's Subaru, and it works. Not yet on the CX-9, tho.

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

Motive sells a pump that connects to the brake fluid reservoir (make sure to get right adapter) that allows for one person to do danz75's two-man version. There's a nice demo video on their site. I've used it on my wife's Subaru, and it works. Not yet on the CX-9, tho.

Thanks fooqr! I didn't see your post previously. This looks like an easy way to accomplish the task....I'll have to look into this one.

Has anyone figured out yet which adapter to use? I tried the universal adapter 1101, and I could not fit it right.

Thanks!

The other way is the 2 man method which I learned as a young kid.
Have your helper pump the brake pedal a few times and hold, then you open the valve at the caliper and the brake pedal will go to the floor. You close the valve and your helper releases the brake pedal. Repeat until the fluid coming out of the valve is clear. Always make sure that the reservoir does not go empty.

This is not the preferred way to do it with modern cars that have antilock brakes. Get the kit and do it properly.

Has anyone figured out yet which adapter to use? I tried the universal adapter 1101, and I could not fit it right.

Thanks!

I assume you're referring to the MOTIVE Brake Bleeder / Flusher...?

I purchased the 0118 Bleeder which came with the 1118 adapter. This worked on my '08, using the thicker of the 2 washers that it comes with. What I don't know is; whether all years have the same reservoir / cap configuration...?

Ok, thanks! I got in touch with the MOTIVE people, and the guy said 1118 works with '08, but 1108 will not, because it won't seal completely. So I went ahead and ordered 1118. I'll let the board know if it works for me.

I'll let the board know if it works for me.

Ok, it worked fine. The only problem I ran into, was that the new adapter comes with a quick-disconnect male attachement, while my existing bleeder has a threaded connection. I ended up going to Lowe's and getting a female and a male quick-disconnect adapters and threaded them onto my existing threaded connections. Now everything is quick-disconnect.

Back