Flat Tire (Parada 255/50-20) - Bad Vibration From Spare

nhokt

My pregnant wife and 2 year old were leaving the mall the other day and found a flat passenger rear tire when they got back to the '9. I get the call....

Luckily there is a car dealer in the same parking lot and a Firestone shop just a bit further. She drove to the dealer who filled the tire up and then went to Firestone. Tire had a screw towards the shoulder so no patching. They did put the spare on so that helped.

Wife complained of vibration drivng home on spare so I gave it a quick run. It has very significant vibration when applying the throttle above 10mph. Let off the gas vibration is minmal, give it gas it picks up again. I don't think its the balance since the vibration goes away. Is it due to a tire size mismatch? I thought being on the rear the AWD wouldn't be engaged in normal driving. Is the Parada being a bit taller than the stock tires the issue?

New Parada will arrive at my normal tire guy on Monday, car is not being active driven until then.

Maybe the spare is properly balanced or isn't tightened to the hub..

Also, balancing is tricky. On my other car, everything is fine up to 68 mph. When I hit 70, I get a little vibration up to 73 mph. Up to 80 it's fine again.

Back