Blizzak DM-V1s on Sort Edition KV5 wheels

I went with the 235/65/18 tires and 18x8 wheels. They fill the wheel wells nicely and the wheels look great.

receipts013.jpg

receipts012.jpg

receipts011.jpg

receipts010.jpg

receipts009-1.jpg

receipts014.jpg

We curtrently have Blizzacks on our MPV and Hankook's on the "9". We just received a light covering of snow (2ins) and now expericening 20 degree temps, w/ ice all over the roads.......I thought this was the Great NorthWest, the land of Utopia

I went with the 235/65/18 tires and 18x8 wheels. They fill the wheel wells nicely and the wheels look great.

receipts013.jpg

receipts012.jpg

receipts011.jpg

receipts010.jpg

receipts009-1.jpg

receipts014.jpg

Hey so I gotta say your comment in my other post made me rethink getting snows this year. Your absolutely right. $200 a year is cheap insurance for staying safe. I've always had dedicated snows. Just wasn't putting the cost in perspective.

So how are the DM-V1's treating you? I'm considering a set but was unsure how they compared with Hankook iPike rwii and Toyo Observe G-02's. Also did you spring for TMPS?

Thanks

Thanks.

So to save some money I ended up going with some used CX-7 rims/TPMS and Hankook WRii's from a local seller. Tires and rims are in great condition. Paid $675 for the set. Getting them mounted Thursday.

How long do snow tires last? Would they last longer than a single season and I could just store them in a shed or would I need to buy new ones every year?

How long do snow tires last? Would they last longer than a single season and I could just store them in a shed or would I need to buy new ones every year?
Read here: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/chads...ls/0/0/winter-tires-with-treadlife-warranties
I would think 3 to 4 winters of useful life depending on the mileage driven, and it's a simple swap when you have the set mounted and balanced on aftermarket rims such as the OP's:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=KV8811435S&wheelMake=Sport+Edition&wheelModel=KV5&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=CX-9&autoYear=2010&autoModClar=Sport+FWD&filterFinish=All&filterSize=All&filterBrand=Sport+Edition&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand
One thing to remember, the 315MHz Tire Pressure Sensors used on the CX-9 will run a bit over $300 for the set. You may forego them if you don't mind the warning light always illuminated.

I've used a single set in Wisconsin winters for 4 years on past cars. After that, they are at least equal to an all season tire of eqaul tread depth. this translates into 20-25,000 miles of use in my experience. Remember, if you drive in more snow, there is less wear and tear on the tread. If you drive on alot of dry roads where there is more grip, the softer tread will wear faster.

Tirerack now lists the Blizzaks as sold out for the season. The season hasn't even started yet here in NJ!

Guess I need to start making some phone calls.

----

Okay made some phone calls, it appears that every dealer I know of in my area of NJ and PA are unable to get the Blizzaks this season, all warehouses and vendors are reporting they are done for the season. Crazy.

Does anyone have any experience with anything else that might be in stock? The Pirelli Scorpions are in stock, are they any good? I wanted the Bridgestones and if it means waiting a season and just putting some good all weather tires on this winter I just might do that.

I just picked up 4 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires on Sport Edition KV5 Silver Painted rims; they've had pretty good reviews.
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Ice+%26+Snow&tirePageLocQty=%26partnum%3D365HR8SCORISXL
They have to be better than the OEM Bridgestones for winter driving; with all the negative reviews on the winter performance of the OEMs I'm taking no chances.

Let me just say that I think the OEM Bridgestones are probably really good 3-season tires, but AWD cannot make up for poor snow/ice traction.

Last edited:
Update on the Pirelli Scorpions: Now that we've had our first blizzard I've had the chance to experience the performance of these tires on snow and ice and I'm pleased to report on their confidence-inspiring behavior. Coupled with AWD and DCS, they performed admirably in the most adverse conditions.

Update on the Pirelli Scorpions: Now that we've had our first blizzard I've had the chance to experience the performance of these tires on snow and ice and I'm pleased to report on their confidence-inspiring behavior. Coupled with AWD and DCS, they performed admirably in the most adverse conditions.

How do they compare to the Duellers on dry/wet pavement?

How do they compare to the Duellers on dry/wet pavement?

I think they're fine on dry pavement. I don't perceive any difference in dry traction or ride quality with the Pirellis vs the Bridgestones. I haven't yet driven in real rain with them, so I can't comment on their wet handling.

Apparently, the wet traction and hydroplane resistance of the Scorpions is pretty good:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...tio=60&diameter=18&VT=LT&filter=y&sortValue=0

I'm afraid that I just don't put much faith in those tirerack ratings. They have these two snow tires rated as better than the all season OEM Duellers in dry pavement. BS.

The Tirerack ratings are so biased by people hyping their own purchase decisions and so subjective that it is very hard to trust anything about them. There is also a strong tendency for people who replace OEM tires with something else to trash the OEM brand if they bought something else. Sadly there doesn't seem to be any site or organization that publishes actual skid pad data or blinded comparisons on test drives by professional drivers.

I purchased Blizzaks this winter, the current model DMV-1, what an unbelievable tire, I live in the mountains of Colorado and they handle like a champ! Took them out on an Ice Lake here in Golden, and out performed other vehicles with every other brand under the sun even the ones with studs.....On my work truck (Toyota Tundra 2010) has the same set of tires and I was driving up roads (Aspen & Snowmass) that were snowpacked, and where others were losing traction, I was going through it in two wheel drive, no issue! Bridgestone (Blizzaks) keep up the good designs!

Last edited:
Back