Help and Advise on brake squeel

nikomahs

Hello. I have a 2007 CX9, about 38000 miles on it, and I have this god awfull brake squeel in reverse. I took it to my mechanic and he resurfaced the rotors and put some anti squeel stuff on, and also did something to the pads. After this was done my squeel was gone for about 4 days, I was a happy camper, but low and behold its comming back just like my mechanic said it probably would. My question is this: I can only assume that to get rid of the squeel I have to replace the pads and the rotors, has anyone done this and what rotors and pads do you recommend?? Im not going with Mazda parts because im afraid i will have the same problem. This forum has given me some great information, ie. bump stops. Hopefully someone can tell me if replacing the rotors and pads will cure my squeel in reverse and point me in the rite direction to get some aftermarked rotors and pads. Thanks for your help.

Well, I cannot tell you that replacing the rotors and pads will fix your issue, but it cannot hurt. If you replace the rotors and pads yourself you are looking at $340ish all the way around. I replaced all rotors and pads on my cx-9. The stopping does not seem any better, as I did not do comparision measuring before and after, but the rotor warp and brake fade I experienced before are gone. I used Centric rotors and pads all the way around. If you do go with Centric rotors, be careful you do not order the wrong front rotors. I ran into a case where there were multiple online auto parts stores that were all selling the wrong front rotor. I did a part search on Centric's website in order to find the correct part. I did find that Tire rack carries the correct rotor.

My own opinion, not shared by all on the site, is that the factory rotors are inferior in quality. The replacement rotors I ordered were better built and all milled v.s. cast. Centric rotors come crosscut, so there is no milling required before mounting, just a quick de-greasing. Let us know if you need anything else.

Thanks Lindyrect....At least i know there are aftermarket rotors other than Mazda OEM. 340 around doesnt sound bad. Im going to run it cross my mechanic and see what he thinks. Do I have to replace all 4?? Can i start with the front two rotors and go from there??

I also have 2008 GT.
My brakes only make groaning noises early in the morning on 1st braking (forward, mostly).
I had both TSBs (related to brake noises) addressed by Mazda dealer 2 years ago.
Apparently, the problem does come back sooner or later.
Anyway, the noise disappears after the brakes are warmed up.
My CX9 is still on the OE brakes after 34K miles. When it is time to replace them, I will consider the non-OE alternatives.

Now that is $340 if you do it yourself. Look at paying about 2+ hours of labor if you have it done. Doing it yourself is really not a hard thing. If you need to because of finances, you can do two at a time. My thought was, if I am already going to do the front, I might as well do the back at the same time and call it a done deal.

My mechanic does things very cheap for me, no concern about labor. Matter of fact im going to stop and see him today and see what he says. Many times he will also get the parts and only charge me his cost on them. Thanks again for your input. If I go this route I just hope it solves my problem, my neighbors will surely appreciate it, lol....

grrrrrrrrr its back. Had new pads put on the front, had the rotors resurfaced....Got rid of the brake squeel for a week or so and now its back. My neighbors once again know when i come and go from my driveway. Cant for the life of me understand why I only get a loud annoying squeel when i brake in reverse. Searched the net and found many others with the same problem, but no solution that really works. Well its back to my mechanic, he told me i can swap out the brakes for ceramic and see if that helps....This is really driving me nuts, going to make me switch to GM or something.....

i'd say go for the ceramic's. in my experience, they dont squeel until they are worn down to the squeel section(yes they put those in to let the driver know, hey buddy time to change them). Also, with the rotors being resurfaced, i would recommend not getting that done anymore. its nearly pointless because manufactures are making the rotors thinner and thus cheaper making it cost almost the same if you get new rotor's versus getting them resurfaced. for instance on my protege5, the rotors i got, granted i got a 20% discount via work, cost me the same as it would have to get the rotors resurfaced. and you already have to pay for labor as it is at a shop.

WEll this brake squeel is god awfull....If the ceramics dont work, I dont know what im gonna do, im about ready to trade the damn thing in and I only have it for 6 months (bought used)...getting the rotors resurfaced really doesnt cost me much, since my mechanic does it for almost nothing since i get all my work dont there. Going to have the ceramics put on this comming Wednesday, if you hear a loud explosion you will know it didnt work and I blew the damn thing up, lol.....Thanks for your input.and Merry Christmas

Back