Handling & Corning / FWD vs ADW

Gunga

:
2011 CX-9 GT AWD
Looking at getting a CX-9. Performance handling / corning is important to me. Looking for comments about the difference between AWD vs FWD.

Would like to hear from someone who has driven both in a CX-9

For what it is, the CX-9 is a good handling car. That said, the AWD is not performance oriented. It is very much biased to the front wheels and it does not do any of the tricks like powering the outside rear wheel during cornering (like Acura and others are starting to do). If you're interested in handling alone, you might benefit from the weight savings if you go with FWD.

Purely from straight line acceleration perspective, (everything else being equal)
< 200hp: FWD wins (thanks to less weight)
200hp to 300hp: FWD or RWD (depending on F=m*a)
300-450hp = RWD wins (thanks to weight shifting)
> 450hp = AWD (more wheels to put horsepower to the ground)

For CX9, the extra weight of 200lbs slows down the acceleration.

Corner handling-wise, many more factors involved. Hard to over-simplify it.

I have FWD 2012 touring and had a chance to drive AWD. AWD feels as a heavier car, accelerates slower. Keep in mind, CX-9 is built as a FWD by its weight distribution, opposite to some other AWD cars like BMWs, some Jeeps, Mercedeses.

I would only add that the AWD felt more balanced and secure in low speed handling around town, on dry city streets. But harsh.

The FWD will spin the front wheels easily, entering from side streets and there is plenty torque steer, if you want to find it.

The FWD with smaller rims give the smoothest/ most balanced ride, and handles high speed sweepers very well. I would guess it's a little spunkier too.

I miss the AWD at times but am quite happy with the 18''/FWD.

The best way to improve cornering is to keep your tires inflated and accelerate slightly in to the curve...

Back