Authorized Vendor
:
All Mazdas!
I had a bit of fun at a recent AutoX in my 2

M2Drifto.gif

http://www.corksport.com/images/add_content/Mazda 2/M2Drifto.gif

-Derrick

Stock Yoko's?
I'm entered in H Stock for the next local SCCA event...no Mini Coopers running yet. How did you make out in the runs??

Stock yoko tires and wheels. Change your tire pressure so you can get the car to rotate and give some balance. The understeer will kill run times. Turn off the DSC too.

I have a write up on the event which will get posted up tomorrow on our blog.

-Derrick

I can tell you were driving around sideways at a few points, lol.

That guy in the Rx7 having fun too

-Derrick

Hey Derrick! great readup on your autoX blog of teh mazda2! too bad it was raining... although now yo know its wet condition handling... dry condition next time.
mebe you can bring it down with you guys to Socal for 2011.

Yeah... knew about the ABS problem months ago when we got to do a road test of the Mazda2. But it's not all understeer in the dry, where you have a little more front end grip.... so you'll probably have to do some tests there, too. But even with a scandinavian flick in the dry, oversteer events are pretty short... the 2 has lots of rear-end grip. The sedan is much easier to slide, and there's enough weight over the butt to tame the ABS issue, but the rear roll center feels about ten feet off the ground... which ain't great for handling...

232323232%7Ffp733%3A%3A%3Enu%3D4789%3E872%3E253%3EWSNRCG%3D336%3B79%3A646344nu0mrj
I did OK in the recent Auto-X....a good bit of body roll in the slaloms (and picture) and the obvious lack of extra HP kept me from beating the 3 Mini Coopers but did finish on top of a Mazda3 & VW Golf in my class. The stock Yoko's did OK, they start squealing long before you loose traction.

Attachments

• Mazda2 AX 10-10.jpg
    Mazda2 AX 10-10.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
The Mazda 2 handles great when compared to other models. The small size and light weight really helps.

-Derrick

How are you guys finding the Avids to hold up in messy conditions? There's not much info about them out there; the guys who have the similar OE tire for the 3 don't seem to like it.

They seem ok. We havent gotten much snow this year but they do ok in the rain.

-Derrick

The handling is really nice for what it is - a FWD sedan with probably ~60% of its weight on the front wheels. It does feel like the "rear roll center feels about ten feet off the ground" but it remains composed. The electrically boosted steering is a touch numb, but the brakes are nice and easy to modulate. There is no spare power, which makes it a momentum car in a big way.

Latest posts

Back