clicking noise from steering wheel

mssong

Hello, everyone. long time lurker, first time poster.

I have 2010 CX-9 GT FWD with 13K mileage on it.
overall, I am very satisfied with this car except this annoying noise problem.

When I turn my steering wheel all the way to the left or right there is clicking noise coming from the steering wheel. Usually two or three "clicking" noise...

Anybody has that problem? Should I go to dealer to have them look into it?

Check steering wheel pump for fluid leak. My old BMW 5 had that issue. It turned out to be a leak.
Either way, take it to the dealer since it is still within OE warranty.

Check steering wheel pump for fluid leak. My old BMW 5 had that issue. It turned out to be a leak.
Either way, take it to the dealer since it is still within OE warranty.

thanks for the reply ceric,
the noise seems coming from inside the airbag area or right below it. I just hope this does not involve any potential dangerous situation. will take it to the dealer soon

When steering wheel is turned to extreme left/right, the boost needed is at its maximum.
That is when the power-assist's issue shows up. It could be the pump or lack of sufficient fluid.
(power steering is actually hydraulic, not electrical)
Lake of fluid is a major problem for hydraulic pump.

Recently, electric steering is getting more and more popular.
It saves about 1/2 hp - 0.5 MPG. Highlander has electric steering.
The downside is that it feels isolated (detached road feel) and the "play" is usually larger at the center position.
Most hybrids have electric steering since the steering needs to work after engine is shut down.

Just some extra comments.

took it to dealer, they said clock spring is broken and replaced it. clicking noise disappeared for a while. but I still can hear minor clicking sound from the steering wheel when I turn it fast. guess I have to live with it...

Back