How To perform an Oil Change

ShoreCX-9

:
Mazda 2010 CX-9 Touring
Hello,
Is there a thread (with pictures) showing an oil change on a CX-9 (2010)?
About to perform my very first oil change.
I plan on using a Motorcraft FL400S filter and Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend.

- What size wrench will I need for the oil drain plug?
- Is there a crush washer on the plug I need to replace?
- Any special tips?

Thanks

I would just take it to the dealer. They've been mailing us (mazda owners) coupons lately that only
cost $30 for that maintenance..

The wrench size is 15mm and there is no crush washer. Just take the fill cap off, open the drain plug and let it empty. Then take off the filter and put a new one on. Fill with new oil and you're done.

I would just take it to the dealer. They've been mailing us (mazda owners) coupons lately that only
cost $30 for that maintenance..
Shame on you! With $30 you can get yourself much better oil, and maybe do the oil change in less time than the dealer(No waiting time). Shame on you Jeezzle

Hey guys. I've had my 2008 CX-9 for about 3 months now so I thought I'd just go and change the oil on it. I just went out and bought some nice synthetic oil and a new filter.

I get under the car and try to get the drain plug off but it is over-torqued! I spent a good hour trying to take that thing off, but with no luck! Have any of you guys had the same problem?

I was turning it counter-clock wise like I think I should but it wouldn't budge and I could see the bolt would get stripped if I continued any more. I attached a picture. This is the oil pan and the highlighted area is the drain plug, right?

Any tips on what to do next? I guess I could take it to the dealer and just get charged labor since I have the oil and filter...

thanks!

oil.png

If you think you won't strip it, put the wrench on there and hit it with it a rubber mallet, or a hammer. Don't wale on it, just give it a little. If you do strip it, they only cost a few bucks to replace.

that does not look like the drain plug - can you take another pic or two? - I just did mine on my 2010 and it did not look like that -

I'm not sure how different a 2008 and a 2010 are for the oil pan. All I know is that is a 15mm bolt. The pan is right behind the oil filter so that's what made me think it was the oil pan.
Does someone have a picture or can verify the one I took is the oil pan and drain plug for a 2008 GT???

That does look right - I took a few pics of my 2010 and it looks to be in the same place although the bolt looks a little different on the 2010. I have a few nice pics but I am not sure how to add them to this post. It looks like there may be a washer behind your bolt but the 2010's do not have a crush washer - there is what looks like a rubber washer built into the bolt itself - pretty cool - I will add pics if you can tell me how.

Thank you so much for those pics, Takehold! Now that I know I got the right bolt, it's just a matter of taking it off now. :)

Thanks for the wrench size, pictures, and the info on the rubber washer, that's good to know.
There's a lot of discussion here about oil type and filters.
Is there any reason I shouldn't use a Motorcraft FL400S filter and Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend?
I figured I'll use the Sync Blend (since that's the factory fill).

Every person will have their own opinion as to what brand of filter and oil to use. Motorcraft is fine because I believe that is the OEM brand. I personally use a Wix filter with Mobil1 oil. I've used it on other vehicles and it works great.

sreddos
Every person will have their own opinion as to what brand of filter and oil to use...

True.

$17.99 for a 5qt jug (plus need an additional quart), $4.99 for the filter. I think I'm all set.

Thanks

Last edited:
Just scored some Mobil1 0w-20 for $3.99/qt on sale at Discount Auto. Will be going in with a PureOne Filter for a 1yr/10k Oil Change Interval for my next oil change.

You will hear endless discussions on what filter and type of oil to use. Everyone has their preference. You are fine using the stock Motorcraft parts. I use Mobil 1 oil for my CX-9, and my 6, and Wix filters for both. Wix is a good and cheap replacement to the OEM filter and I think Mobil 1 is one of the best synthetics. If you can afford it, Royal Purple is even better, but you are going to pay for it.

I discovered a little something tonight while changing the oil in the wife's 9. Motorcraft (as well as some others) has gone to what they call a 5+ jug. It's 5 liters, not 5 quarts. If you take the extra quart you would normally get and use enough of it to fill the filter, then dump the 5+ jug into the motor, it's just right. Before I was always pouring and checking to see that I had the correct amount. This takes the guess work out of it and I'm always good with simple.

Outside of my tractor, this is the easiest vehicle I've ever had to change the oil on.

Back