Is my turbo out? Help

SHURIK

:
2006 MazdaSpeed 6
Ok so lately, I've been driving and when I'm like in 5th gear and I floor it, it starts to go, stutters a few times, then finally takes off. Yesterday, as I was getting on the freeway, in third gear I was catching up to speed, it stuttered once, then felt like something got on the way of the air an it's barely catching speed. Sounds like the air is still going in, but doesn't feel like the turbo is doing it's job. When I rev it up, it sucks in air still but sounds at high rev like a stutter. I have a Cobb Sri and tip. Anyone else have this problem?

YES!!!
I'm going through the exact same thing or very similar at least...can't seem to figure it out?!?!
At first I thought I was hitting fuel cut, but started monitoring with my dashhawk and when it happens I'm seeing knock retard of up to 4.5.
Maybe it's the ecu pulling timing???
I'm the furthest thing from an expert and trying to troubleshoot this myself also so if any of our resident experts can chime in???

Come on, no help? Somebodys gotta help us noobs lol.

Did you ever figure yours out?

Sounds like the "loss of power" above 4k rpms problem. There is a TSB at your mazda dealer to fix it. Involves an ECU reflash.

It also MAY be a faulty front O2 sensor of a dirty MAF (mass airflow) sensor. It takes a bit of troubleshooting to determine which part, but the easiest thing to do yourself is clean the MAF sensor. You can get it in spray cans at local parts store.

Man. This is killing me. It's like major hesitatio. In every gear after 4k rpm. My car is as fast as a single head civic right Now and I dunno howto fix it. In rpms after like 5k it makes these wierD whistle stutter sounds. Can't take it to the dealer cuz I got no warrenty

stutter? Check your plugs.. Check your maf... Do you have a boost gauge? Is it overboosting and you might be hitting fuel cut/boost cut or whatever it is.. Or possibly detonating?

53k on the engine. It's not exactly a stutter, it's more like it's going up in rpms the same, but the power is none. Like there is a block somewhere. It's like you pushing as hard as you can on the crapper but the poo is stuck. I'm going to check the plugs tomorrow. This happened suddeny. Like at one point I'm catching up to speed, I shift, and it's barely pulling anymore. I don't have a boost gauge.

I cleaned the maf today, took it out for a drive and it's still the same. At high rpm it has a slight stuttering squeel like a belt slipping. Hahaha I fell dumb explaining it in all these ways.

Last edited:
you know, come to think of it, im now wondering if the cat might be clogged in either the downpipe or on the lower part of the exhaust. i remember my mother had a 2000 kia sportage and when her cat got clogged, you would give it full gas, and it would have NNNOOOO power, just about the same thing. What you guys think?

you know, come to think of it, im now wondering if the cat might be clogged in either the downpipe or on the lower part of the exhaust. i remember my mother had a 2000 kia sportage and when her cat got clogged, you would give it full gas, and it would have NNNOOOO power, just about the same thing. What you guys think?

Possible.. Also possible bad coil pack? I dont know. If its not throwing any codes then its possible its bad cat? Honestly I usually dont run Cats so I have no clue

I cleaned the maf today, took it out for a drive and it's still the same. At high rpm it has a slight stuttering squeel like a belt slipping. Hahaha I fell dumb explaining it in all these ways.

Sure sounds like a boost leak with the squealing. If the turbo were bad enough to have no boost it would make lots more noise especially at lower rpms. Go look for a leak somewhere from the turbo outlet to the throttle body.....

I'm thinking it's a leak too just cuz It sounds like air is going through a crack or small tube. I'm taking all apart an checking tomorrow

FIXED. So i decided since the car has 53k miles and hasnt had the sparks changed, id change them. Got those changed and while taking off the intercooler, i noticed that the clamp from the cold pipe to the intake manifold was loose. Changed the sparks, tightened that clamp, and WALLLAAA, she pulls like no other.

I went down to the dealer today to pick up a part and while there ran into a tech. Told him my issue. What i heard in response was "duuurrrrr, ummmmmm, us tech guys are idiots and no nothing about mazdas so fix it yourself". The moron told me i need a fuel injector clean, and that i also needed to put my stock airbox on because that was most likely the problem. haha. While buying sparks at autozone, i asked the guy if they were pregapped. He asked me what the gap was supposed to be. I said .028/.032. he laughed and told me there is no way that can be because that was microscopic. mannnn, these auto places really need to start hiring people that know what theyre talking about.. haha.

autozone is full of the biggest pieces of s*** most of the time, the employees know absolutely nothing, my dad and I would rather drive 10 miles out of our way then to go to the autozone 3 blocks from my house!!

autozone is full of the biggest pieces of s*** most of the time, the employees know absolutely nothing, my dad and I would rather drive 10 miles out of our way then to go to the autozone 3 blocks from my house!!

hahaha woe woe woe. Calm down tiger haha.

Back