Transmission and tranfer case issues

driggy

:
CX-9 Gran Touring AWD
New here, so thought I'd give a heads up. Owned 2 RX-3s and one RX-7 before. Bought an '07 CX-9 for the wife as the family car. After 9 months wife complained on how bad it was in the snow. Tried it and sure enough, couldn't go up even a slight incline. Turned out to be a transfer case issue and fixed under extended warranty. Same issue as others have posted here.

Since no one has posted on this, thought I'd get some info in the open. About two months ago, the transmission started acting up (approx 90,000 miles). When down shifting from 6th or 5th to 4th, it was hard enough to snap your head back. Usually took 1/2 hr or so to show up. Warranty also took care of it, glad I got it now, and replaced with a different one with 50,000 miles on it.

Was looking to get rid of it now, but a search on the net shows I am the exception for a Mazda and other builders are having worse issues. Guess I'll keep it a bit longer, but if another issue shows up, it's gone. Hope I don't regret this. Only a few thousand miles left on the warranty.

Last edited:
Exactly the reason I bought the MEPP service contract for mine prior to the warranty ending.

Since I had my PTO fixed I haven't had any further problems but at the cost of a PTO or transmission for the 9, the MEPP contract was a bargain.

'07 AWD models have a high percentage of transfercase failure.
Lots of discussion/cases reported here.
Search the threads.

Back