Spare key re-program question/help

3xv

Good day fellow forum members. One of the smart keys of our 2008 CX9 does not work in it's "normal mode" anymore. "Normal mode" being:

1. Being able to lock/unlock via buttons on the front door handles and lift gate
2. Being able to start the vehicle without using the actual metal key

The locks can still be controlled via remote by pushing the lock or unlock button, along with the liftgate button. However, the ignition can only be started using the metal key.

This issue started two days ago. Thinking it was the remote battery, I replaced it with a brand new one and it still does not work like it used to.

This issue could have started when I had my iphone in the same pocket as the smart key in the same time frame indicated above where the key stopped working properly.

I read the how-to on how to program an extra smart key from this thread http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123699361 to no avail. I just wanted to try it just in case it worked.

The instructions indicate that both keys are needed to program a third key, however, all I need is to restore the program of one of the original keys that we have. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. have a great week ahead.

I believe the the Smartkey can only be dealer programmed. Some makes allow the programming of a spare in the proximity of an already programmed keyfob, but not Mazda.

Badself-Thank you for your response. (thumb)

Problem solved July 29 through manuf. warranty. (drive2)

Smart Card Keyless Remote

Great reading thru this thread. I have a slightly different twist that I'm hoping someone can help clarify. I have a 2008 CX-9 GT with 2 Smart Cards. One of the remote cards has stopped working completely, the other works but sporadically. Still have both aux keys and they work just fine. From all that I've read, including the instructions on programming additional Smart Cards, two 'cards' must be working in order to program additional cards...is this true or is the fact that both 'keys' are still available and working sufficient? I'm trying to differentiate between the 'card' and 'key' components of the Smart Card to determine what must be functional in order to go thru purchase and programming of new/additional Smart Cards.

As a follow on, any idea what might be causing the one remote card to not work? Both cards have become increasingly tempramental over time until the one just stopped working altogether. Tried numerous new batteries. The one good still requires an ocassional shake/tap to get it to work. Is it possible the dead unit just lost its programming and a dealer may be able to reprogram? Depending upon the answer to the above regarding operation of key versus card, if i can somehow get this second card working then i could purchase new Smart Cards on ebay, program myself and save a ton of dough.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice.

Back