Time For New Rubber!

fxpthl

Well fellow Forum readers, it is time to change the tires on our 09 CX9. We have just over 35K on the OE Duelers and I need some input from you folks. We live in So. Calif. so ice and snow is not an issue......at all! We do, however, travel the highways and byways of the USofA each year, so our miles are mostly long distance highway miles. What will be our best investment on the next set of four? Thanks for all of your many ideas and stories.

i have Pirelli Scorpion STR As and they have been fine on dry, wet, and light snow. if you can get a good deal on them (i got 4 tires for $100 each), i would recommend them. but you can't go wrong with the Parada Spec-X based on all the educated opinions here.

If you only want dry and wet performance from your tires, there are better choices (in term of pricing) than Parada Spec-X. Check tirerack.com and read the reviews.
Pirekki Scorpion STA A seems like a good one for $100. Save you $55 each from Spec-X.

New Rubber!

Thanks to all of you who gave me their two-cents worth of advice. Isn't it a shame that some folks must put their own little bit of sarcasm into this very useful blog (davicho)!!!!!

Thanks to all of you who gave me their two-cents worth of advice. Isn't it a shame that some folks must put their own little bit of sarcasm into this very useful blog (davicho)!!!!!

Hmm, i wouldn't classify that as sarcasm. It's one of the most used tires in this forum.

New Rubber On Order

Thanks to all who have responded with my question regarding the replacement of my original Bridgestones with Yokohama Parada's. My local Mazda dealer had a buy three get one free promotion was all I needed to set up the deal! I normally do business with a small local independant tire/brake shop, but his totals came out way too high for my budget. Paying normal dealer prices rubs me the wrong way but not this time. Really looking forward to these new tires, from all of the good reports from this forum.

Sad Tire Purchase Experience...so far

Greetings fellow CX9 enthusiats. A few days back I had decided to go ahead and get the Yoko Paradas so highly rated by so many of you on this forum. I did get an ad from one of our local Mazda dealerships announcing a buy 3 get one free offer. My call to the service dept. went well with them promising the new rubber would be in the shop just a few days away. Well I was told they had arrived and I took the car in for tires as well as a check of the brakes and normal oil & filter changes. After less than four hours and I get the call the our car is ready to go. Arrived a bit later to find a new set of GOODYEAR RS tires on the car. Oops says the service writer. Oops says the parts dept. head honcho. And Oops from the service manager. Somehow, someway they never order the Yoko's at all and I spent the good part of the day driving back and forth to the dealership and home! I have been promised that the correct rubber WILL be available for installation next Tuesday......for sure! They point of this diatribe is just a reminder why many of us will not do business with a dealership service dept. This really turned into a real turkey ...k and circle ...k by this establishment. Once the new rubber is on the ground, this Mazda man will never let his shadow cross this place again. By the way, the Good years are loud and in no way what I have heard about the Paradas. So much for American enginuity!

Well, you can see how easily this mistake could have happened......GOODYEAR...YOKOHAMA...it's obvious....they have the same number of letters in the name. (confused)(confused)(confused)

Wow, what a screw-up and a total waste of your time. Sorry to hear this happened to you. They should offer you a free oil change or something to make up for their mistake.

Last edited:
The Joys of Dealerships......NOT!

Well we shall see how this finally works out on Tuesday. When I picked up my car yesterday the service writer assured me that they would do the re-install "At No Charge"! Ok, what is wrong with that statement? Film at eleven!

Free oil change ain't good enough. Personally, I do my own oil changes. The dealer touches my car only as a last resort for warranty work, or work beyond my expertise.

Let them install the Yokohama's. THEN, let them know you want $100 knocked off the total invoice for your troubles and the wear-and-tear to your wheels for the unnecessary breakdown and re-install.

Had the dealer install our Paradas a couple months, much quieter than the Bridgestones so far. We chose the dealer because they are much cheaper than going to NTB, who seem to give you the screw if you don't buy tires directly from them. Also got an alignment, but I think it's off just a bit...ah well. The Paradas also seem to absorb bumps better than the Bridgestones.

Dealership Tire Purchase Gone Sour

I like your idea alot "Badself"! I never took into consideration the wear & tear factor of breaking down the tires over and over. Having done some tire work in my "yute", it does take it's toll on the rims each time they are subjected to that task. The Goodyears they "lent" me are way too harsh of a ride. No where near what I expect from the Yoko's. Hope all goes better this coming week cause we're traveling on Wednesday morning and I won't have a chance to really get any drive-time on the Yoko's for ten days or so. Going back to hot and humid KY country to celebrate our granddaughters second birthday and can't wait!

Finally, New Yokohamas!

The saga of my Parada purchase is finally complete. The dealorship came through after two different visits. They actually got it right this time and gave me a loaner for the time they had the car. More important though was the large discount on the final bill with many apologys for the poor service! After only a few miles I really can sense the difference and wow are they great tires! Everyone here told me so and it be!

I went with the Pirelli Scorpion STRs about a year and a half ago on my 2007 GT due to unbearable noise and vibration from my Duelers (at around 22,000 miles.) They have been very quiet, smooth and for the most part vibration-free but it looks as though they are nearing the end of their treadlife. Couldn't beat the price at around $100 each from tirerack.com when I bought them. Looks like next time I'll be going with Yokohama though.

Just had a set of Yokohama paradas installed today on my 07 sport. 835 with alignment and tire protection at jack williams. Hope they are as good as everyone says they are. I will be sure to let you know what i think of them. they look like one heck of a tire.

Question - when people say the Spec X are way quieter than stock tires, aren't they comparing a brand new spec X tire vs. the old tire they are replacing with 20-30k of miles on it? Doesn't seem apples to apples since there will a noise difference between new/old regardless of brand.

How would the road noise of a new Spec X compare with a new OEM tire?

Back