How to unstick the front power passenger window

steinwayb

My wife has a 2006 Mazda5 Sport, which we both love. Today she said she tried putting the front passenger window down and it would not move. It was stuck in the up position. I was able to fix it myself. I did not take photos but will do my best to describe what I did.
You have to first remove the door panel following these steps:

1) Remove the power window switch assembly.
Locate the small black phillips head screw in the power switch assembly located at the bottom of the storage well. Remove the screw. Then, pop out the power window switch assembly and unplug it (use a small screw driver to press on the release prior to pulling the plug out).

2) Remove the power lock switch.
Pull the door handle inside the car and you will see a small, black circular cover. Pry this off with a small screw driver (there is a small dented area where you can fit the screw driver in). This will expose a phillips head screw. Remove the screw and then remove the power door lock assembly. Unplug the power door lock switch.

3) Remove the triangular piece of trim near the side view mirror at the top left of the door panel. You can just gently pry this off with your hands. There are 2 black plastic clips that hold it in place. When I removed this, one clip stayed on the piece of trim, the other fell off. I was fortunate enough to see it before it fell into the door.

4) Begin removing the door panel. You will need to gently pull the door panel away from the door. I began at the bottom. There are about 6 or 7 white plastic clips that hold the door panel to the door. As you gently pull on the door panel, you will be able to feel where the clips are. Try to pull as close to the clip as possible. You are trying to remove the door panel and have the clips pop out of the door and remain on the door panel. I had about 3 clips get stuck in the door and was able to pry them off with pliers, but they are easy to break. I am sure they are a cheap part to replace, but I didn't have any extras laying around and I doubt you will either, so be careful.

5) Once all of the door clips have been popped out, lift the door panel up. There is a lip at the top, so you need to lift it up to clear the upper edge of the door. With the door panel off, reinstall any of the clips onto the door panel that may have gotten stuck in the door. Pry them out of the door using a pair of plyers and slide them back into position on the door panel.

6) Once the door panel is removed, remove the three 10 mm phillips head screws holding the power door window motor in place and then remove the motor (I actually plugged the power window switch back in and pressed it down. This caused the motor to turn on and it popped out by itself - dumb luck). When I did this, the window immediately slid to the down position. I knew the switch and motor were working prior to attemping the repair because I could hear the motor engaging when the switch was pressed down, but the window would not budge. It must have gotten bound up somehow. (I have no idea what caused the window to stick. My guess is the recent hot weather caused something to bind, but that's just a guess.) I then remounted the motor, tested to make sure everything was working OK, installed the door panel, power window switch assembly and power lock switch.

This was quite easy. I would say the hardest part was prying the door panel off without messing up the plastic clips. But if you do mess them up, I am sure you could buy them from the dealer fairly cheaply (at least I would hope they would be cheap - they are just a piece of plastic).

Hope this helps anyone out there that has a front window that is stuck.

Just had this happen to our front passenger side window. Very hot weather (100+) - window would not roll down using either the door or driver's switch. I could hear a switch click when pressed button. Son told me it works when it cooled down. I ordered a new window motor from Amazon. Got home, window was working ... appears to be quickly moving up & down. I cleaned window edge of dirt & cleaned seals with this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). Hopefully it will continue to work, otherwise I'll replace the motor. It seems like there may be some sort of thermal fuse that protects the motor from overheating that will come into play when it is really hot. Anyone have any other insights?

I'm pretty sure the window is sticking to the window channel seal. With the window partially down look for traces of seal material on the glass (faint black lines). Clean that off and lubricate the window seal with silicone lubricant every so often and it shouldn't reoccurr. Mine does it when I've gone too long between seal cleaning and lubrication. My wife's old mz3 did it as well.

Back