CorkSport Titanium Oil Catch Can

CorkSport

2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Authorized Vendor
:
All Mazdas!
We have been looking at building an oil catch can built from Titanium for the Mazdaspeed 3/6. What we are coming up against is the price which would be $149 due to the material and specialized welding required to produce the part. We would make a specific fit installation for the catch cans for the Mazdaspeed models. With the weight of the materials the assembly would weigh 8.5 ounces.

A solid works drawing below is of the idea we have come up with. The can would use stainless steel wool to help separate out the oil from the air in the top of the can.

OCC.jpg

For options we could oxidize the titanium to give it the purple color or just leave it the natural silver color.

Would you buy it if we made it?

Thoughts, ideas, criticism are all welcome.

-Derrick

^^^ It's a simple catch can, it could fit anything if you have the room in your engine bay for it.

Looks good and I would probably buy one for $150. Would there be a window or clear tubing to check the level perhaps?

We could offer a kit for the MSP.

The entrapment media is something we are still working on for the design. We wanted to get this out to the public to get opinions/feedback on the design.

-Derrick

would you guys use some sort of screen inside other than the steal wool? I know over time that will break down and the engine can start sucking it in.

would you guys use some sort of screen inside other than the steal wool? I know over time that will break down and the engine can start sucking it in.

There have been several designs which we have looked at for getting the oil vapor out. Not shown in the picture is the inside of the can has 2 "screens" with a media in the middle.

We are discussing other options for getting the oil vapor out of the air.

-Derrick

what would be the cost if aluminum material was to be used ?

I second the screen inside the can to bring concern down the road since there's no way of checking or "servicing" it with time.

Jacob our engineer made an update to the design based on feedback.

Jacob's quote "I revised the design to get rid of the steel wool in the middle that might get coated in residue over time. Instead, it has an inlet and outlet that are both tangent to the sidewall. This will basically spin the atomized oil out of the air as shown in the picture. Also, the low pressure created in the bottom will also help suck out any oil that may be trying to make it to your intake tract. We are also looking into a cheaper AL version as well."

attachment.php

-Derrick

Picture didn't show for me Derrick. Sounds like an interesting idea, especially with the mounting brackets made specifically for Mazda applications. I'm interested.

I would probably get one just cause it would have a name I know. Most catch cans I see just look like tin cans.

Id get it. My catch can on my other FI car pulls a lot of crap out of the lines. I love seeing what didnt make it back into the engine.

We are working on getting a production sample built right now. We will post up pictures when we have more information.

-Derrick

I'd be interested in an AL unit at a significantly lower price point. Titanium is cool and all, but sheesh......it's a catch can! It won't be visible where I plan to mount it anyway. Offer it anodized for corrosion protection in a few different colors and you'll sell them much more easily. Offer it in raw AL as well, and price it as the least expensive of the bunch.

placement of cool air around the catch-can and exposed surface area to the vapor to allow condensation would seem to be a priority item to get it to work as desired. What about having a way to mount the CC to the side of the Corksport cold air box for cooling? Granted, the lines would be really long and some condensate might settle out in the line, which is not desirable. But hey, just throwing out ideas here.

Good stuff. This is a sealed can, meaning it can be installed properly on the pressurized side of the PCV. Worth the money, considering I paid $120 for my aluminum greddy can.

Back