engine studders

blkcx9

:
Black cx-9 GT
My engine studders at idle and at highway speeds. If in neutral rpm's go up and down by 250 rpm. Any ideas?

Could be the throttle body issue with the Ford engine on CX9.
Google "Ford Duratec throttle body" and read about it.

CX9 has a variant of Ford Duratec engine.

Throttle body issue!!!!!! MAJOR ISSUE!

I took my CX9 to the dealer 2 weeks ago and they still have it. They believe that the studdering is the throttle body and are going to replace it. Problem is they don't have any....they are on backorder till....whenever. No ETA! The dealer believes this is a big problem due to no parts. So if you have issues take your car in immediately.

My engine studders at idle and at highway speeds. If in neutral rpm's go up and down by 250 rpm. Any ideas?

I was going to wait until I had a couple of more days of driving under my butt, but as of today, it's looking like my hesitation issue was caused by the spark plugs. Obviously, I don't know if this is the same issue you are experiencing, but my car would buck / hesitate when driving under a little bit of load - like trying to maintain speed while going up a hill.

I posted my issue back in September - to me, it felt like a gas delivery / ignition issue and asked the group about replacing the spark plugs. The general concensus was that it probably was not the plugs but that it was likely the throttle body or something to do with the transmission....so I dismissed my thought that it might be the plugs.

Then more recently, "Craig-CX9" started posting his experiences which were nearly identical to mine. It took some time, but his dealer eventually caught a "miss-fire" in one of the cylinders while monitoring engine functions. The last time Craig-CX9 posted a message (on 6/28) was to say that he'd been trouble-free for about a week after they replaced the plugs. So, that got me back to thinking that perhaps the plugs were my issue after all.

I replaced my plugs 1 week ago. Technically, I replaced 3 of the 6 plugs a week ago....the 3 easy to get to - in the front of the engine. I replaced the more difficult ones to get to on Saturday. I've taken 3 fairly long highway trips and I've yet to have the car 'burp' even once. I'm not totally convinced that the plugs were my issue just yet, but it's certainly looking that way.

Schedule 1 states the plugs are good until 100K miles. Schedule 2 says to replace them at 60K miles. I started having issues prior to 50K miles. I don't know how many cars I've had over the past 35 years, but I've averaged about 35K miles per year over the past 30 years with my work, and I don't ever remember replacing plugs because I was having an issue with them...it was always for preventive maintenance reasons. It's looking like this may be a first for me. I replaced the original Platinum Motorcraft with Autolite Iridium plugs....they were the only ones I could find locally that fit the CX9.

Good luck with your issue. Just keep the plugs in mind, especially if you take your 9 to the dealer and they can't reproduce the issue....that's what happened to me....3 wasted trips to the dealer. For about $40, I may have resolved a problem that I've been dealing with for almost a year.

Throttle body replaced

Had the throttle body replaced and so far no issues. I will be driving the car more in the next couple of weeks. Keep everyone updated.

Back