My 30K service - $394 (inc. loaner)

:
2022 CX-5 Turbo
I went in for a 30K service.
No, I did not use dealer's package. Instead, I came up with a list of stuff for dealer to perform. I found coupon for almost all items from their ads. Here is a list:

- oil and filter change: $32.88 (today I got a coupon for $28.88)
- transmission fluid flush: $132.88
- rear differential fluid service: $68.88
- 4-wheel alignment: $118.88
- (Free) A/C inspection, full-circle inspection
* believe it or not, I still got "green" status for battery, pads, and rotors after 30K miles!!!
- Mazda-3 rental - $30
-----------------------------------------------------------
total =~ $394 (incl. tax, etc.)

Even my service adviser told me that ... "This is very good deal!".
I can only say that, when I pick up my CX9, it drives like a new vehicle!!!
I plan to do tire rotation myself ($30 if I let dealer do it - including balancing).
I put on new tires 6K miles ago. There is no need to re-balance them.

BTW, I had the A/C blowing relays replaced. It happened to me twice this past month.
The adviser told me that the relays are newly designed. Even colors are different.
Hope those fix the problem.

Was everything on your list a part of the 30,000 mile service with the exception of the transmission flush? What else was "supposed" to be done? Damn that's an expensive alignment... Is that typical with an AWD vehicle? It only cost me like $70 for my Nissan Sentra.

man, i just dumped a bit over 800 into my kia's 30k mile service. but i did all there recommended things, that way if i ever blow the motor, they cant screw me. ive even had every oil change done there. its the nice thing about the kia being a work vehicle. everything i get to write off. :)

AWD / 4WD alignments are typically more expensive, so that doesn't surprise me much. Thanks for the list...so I'll have something to reference when it comes time for ours.

A typical 30K service at dealership does NOT include
- transmission fluid flush (lifetime fluid on CX9 if you believe such a thing)
- rear differential fluid service
- 4-wheel alignment
So, there you have it. A dealer will likely charge you around $300 for doing nothing more than topping off this and that, tire rotation and an oil change for the 30K service.

As a side note, you DO NOT need the 30K service to keep your warranty valid as long as you have all the items on the Mazda maintenance schedule done properly. The so-called, 15K, 30K, 45K, 60K services are cooked up by dealers to charge customers.

I don't know about you, but I think a $120 4-wheel alignment is typical, not very cheap, but the quality of work was superb. My CX9 has virtually no steering vibration at any highway speed now.

I will add it has been proven by Mazda customers that having the dealer change your oil is absolutely no guarantee of warranty coverage for a blown motor. Reference the mazdaspeed3 forums for that tidbit of info. I spend a fair amount of time there as well since I also own a 2009 speed3.

I just changed my oil at 2900 miles myself. It was one of the easiest oil changes I have ever done and only cost me about $15 plus a half hour of my time using Ford Motorcraft semi synth and an FLS400 filter.

that just means they didnt know how to cause a scene. lol. we got our old explorers motor replaced by the dealer after i freaked out so bad, people were actually leaving the dealership because of my language. got a remaned motor installed though with no cost out of pocket. :)

as i said, with my kia, everything is a tax write off. so i could care less. plus preventive maintenance is always a good thing. specially when i dont have to do it. i still have to do all the upkeep on the other 5 cars i own. lol. i like not having to touch the turd of my car collection. in all truth, i dont even know the size of the motor in that thing. lol

Squeaky wheel gets the grease - I get it.
If it ever comes down to that, I will do the same.

Regardless, Mazda North America is not FOMOCO and they have a notorious reputation for denying warranty replacements using any excuse possible.

I'm not putting any faith in getting better response out of them just because a dealer did all the service especially since dealers generally gouge the hell out of people for service work. The extra cost gives me no peace of mind. Dealer won't see my car unless it's warranty work and a shop won't see my car unless it's something I can't do myself or just don't feel like doing.

ceric, why did you have 4-wheel alignment done at 30K miles? Is there a problem?

I was on the fence about the alignment, to tell the truth.

There was a bit steering wheel vibration but wasn't too bad. With new tires 4K miles ago, it wasn't the balancing issue. So, I had the alignment done. Now, it is silky smooth at any highway speed.

A typical 30K service at dealership does NOT include
- transmission fluid flush (lifetime fluid on CX9 if you believe such a thing)

Just be advised that Oak Tree and Capitol Mazda do not use the OE fluid, but instead, the Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle fluid. Although the fluid works fine, it is not Mazda approved.

I don't know about you, but I think a $120 4-wheel alignment is typical, not very cheap, but the quality of work was superb. My CX9 has virtually no steering vibration at any highway speed now.

Oak Tree has a new state-of-the-art Hunter HawkEye alignment rack, which is explains the high cost for alignment. On many newer cars, toe is the only adjustment possible so alignment is not nearly as complex as it once was. $120 is fairly steep for a procedure which likely took about 15 minutes, if not less. Sears on Tully has the same Hunter HawkEye rack and they charge $70 for an alignment, sometimes less. If you can find a decent Firestone shop, they sell a lifetime alignment plan for $150, which is the best deal in the industry as long as you intend to own your car for a long time.

Back