A/C Problem...Help!

Hi, I need some help with my A/C. I turn the a/c on with it set on same temp for drivers and passengers side (as always) but the cold air is only coming out of the passengers side, with hot air coming out of the drivers side. It just started doing this and I'm in Texas with 100 degree weather. I normally use the recirculate button so after I've been driving about 18 minutes or so the cold air from the two passenger side vents eventually cools the cabin and the cooler air is being recirculated and some cooler air starts to come out of the drivers side. But it still doesn't feel as cold as passenger side. I'm confused since it should be the same compressor, blower etc.
Do both sides have their own thermostats under the hood? Maybe a bad fuse for drivers side??? I just don't know and the owners manual is no help. Also, my warranty has expired on my 07 touring so I'm hoping for a home fix. I would appreciate any helpful suggestions you can come up with. Thanks.

Sounds like you have a problem with your blend door acuator. The motor that moves the door inside the housing to either let hot air come in from the heater core or let cold air from evaporator. Since our CX-9a are tri-zone climate control units there are three seperate actuators that move three seperate doors to control hot/cold air. From what you are describing sound like the driver side acuator is not working and it is stuck in the hot setting. I see you are out of warranty, you may have to dish out some dough to get it looked at and repaired because its an easy fix but time consuming and difficult to get to. Good luck!

Last edited:
A/C update

A/C update. Well, even the passenger side stopped putting out cold air. I had started to smell some freezing/defrosting type smells while ac was on, now no cold air at all. I drove by a mechanic shop advertising ac check $19.95. They looked at it and came back with an estimate for $827 to replace the condenser which they say has a hole in it. They say they can't repair hole and it probably was from a rock. I said maybe I can find a condenser in the junkyard and they said they won't work with outside parts. I went into shop to talk with mechanic...who looked a bit nervous. I asked how big the hole was...no answer. He said the same thing the front desk said. I paid my $20 and left. Later I looked my CX9 over and see no hole in the condenser or even an impact from a rock. I take the two caps off where they put dye in my system to check it and I see the glowing green dye in the valve. I did not see any dye anywhere in the engine compartment, hoses, condenser, etc.
WTF?? I went and bought a can of refrigerant/seal leak/dye with nozzle/hose attached and will try to put in system and try to check it myself. We'll see..

Good luck - I have a similar story with a Lincoln I had - $1250 to pull the core out and replace - no other possibility, according to the mechanic.

Bought a $9 can of stop-leak R134 with hoses and gauge - had to charge up the system twice with it (this was back in 2003) and after the second time, it stayed charged until I sold it last year.

Back