Odd scraping noise

homerj

I have a 08 CX9 GT , for about a month now there is an odd scraping noise that occurs only when I turn at low speeds in intersection type turns.
When going from stop at a light and turning 90 with very gradual and slight acceleration the scraping noise occurs, doesnt happen always , but when it does it sounds like mud flaps rubbing on pavement..only a bit more extreme, I dont have mud flaps. Noise is coming from rear end.
took it to dealer once who couldnt find anything but they said bring it back, which I am doing tomorrow. Any ideas??

I notice a noise sometimes when I turn as you described. Mine sounds like it's coming from the front right tire slipping or traction control engaging. It doesn't always happen though and mostly when it's wet or i drive over an iron valve cover in the roadway.

at the dealer now, took mechanic for a drive...he has no idea what it is and is very perplexed. Hopefully someone will figure it out

seems to have been the rear brakes, replacing pads and rotors, dealer is putting rotors under warranty and only charging me for pads

Nope, not the brakes, drove away after having them replaced and noise was still there. Car left with dealer...surely to god they"ll figure it out...eventually

Word today is that they found some metal shavings in the rear differential. Waiting for parts. I will await official word but that is where they are now thinking the issue is.

They replaced the rear differential and now the noise is gone. Sad to see that after 40,000kms that it needed replacement, hope it's a one off. Guy at the service counter tried to tell me that it was from uneven tire wear on an AWD that may cause this problem. Whatever, I asked him why there would be uneven tire wear because when I bought it all tires were even. Surely everone who has mild uneven tire wear dont have their rear end coming apart. Well if it happens again I will bring it back, bought the extra warranty, good thing.

+1

Not good! Very not good, as no longer under warranty. I have the same issue, though I am also getting the noise as it changes from 2nd to 3rd. There are other threads on here about having the rear transmission replaced, so am wondering if this is a much wider issue? Any chance that it's an acknowledged (recall) issue and will be replaced regardless of warranty?

Phew!

Hmm, seems that there is a simple issue with the rear heat shield coming loose and generating this noise as it grates against the underside of the cabin. Hopefully they didn't change your brakes and diff and just accidentally repair this in the process. Off to the dealers now, and if you don't hear back on here, then all is well.

The diff should be on the powertrain part of the warranty, which is 5 years. So you have a few more years before you have to start worrying again! (even longer if your extended warranty is longer than 5 years)

Hmm, seems that there is a simple issue with the rear heat shield coming loose and generating this noise as it grates against the underside of the cabin. Hopefully they didn't change your brakes and diff and just accidentally repair this in the process. Off to the dealers now, and if you don't hear back on here, then all is well.

I know this is an old post I'm bumping, but I just ran into this issue yesterday. One minute the car way fine, the next it was making an awful scraping/rattling noise (coming from rear, under car). I thought I was dragging something... but that wasn't the case. I didn't hit a pot hole or bottom out the car either.

Took it to mechanic this morning and it's the heat shield. One bolt came lose, the other sheered right off.

I bought the car preowned about six months ago and am trying to figure out what would have caused this... if it's a "known issue" can someone point me to more information if possible? It's an '07 and has about 40K on it.

Thanks!

Since you bought it used, you have no way of knowing who had done works to it.
Maybe someone did not put the bolts back on according to torque spec.
I don't think this is a common issue since I have been around this forum for 3 years...

I have same noise too

I know I am late to this thread but I have the same issue, dealer didn't hear noise, took tires apart and said nothing is wrong. I have since moved to NC and the noise is getting worse, man if its the rear end I'm screwed. I have 55,000 miles on it and the warranty is over. How many other people have had this problem???

I know this is an old post I'm bumping, but I just ran into this issue yesterday. One minute the car way fine, the next it was making an awful scraping/rattling noise (coming from rear, under car). I thought I was dragging something... but that wasn't the case. I didn't hit a pot hole or bottom out the car either.

Took it to mechanic this morning and it's the heat shield. One bolt came lose, the other sheered right off.

I bought the car preowned about six months ago and am trying to figure out what would have caused this... if it's a "known issue" can someone point me to more information if possible? It's an '07 and has about 40K on it.

Thanks!

I had what sounds like a similar or possibly same issue with my 2007 CX-9 w/ ~45K mi. In my case the sound was like banging on a metal garbage can whenever I would hit a bump or go over a speed-bump. It turned out to be a loose heat shield (large one) between the exhaust and the body. one of the fasteners was missing allowing it to flap around and make a racket. I was able to drill out the remaining portion of the fastener and replace it w/ a large stainless rivet to hold the shield in place. ~15 mins and no more clanking noise.

While under the vehicle I did notice quite a bit of rust / corrosion on the exhaust and suspension components, so this may become regular service issue.

I had what sounds like a similar or possibly same issue with my 2007 CX-9 w/ ~45K mi. In my case the sound was like banging on a metal garbage can whenever I would hit a bump or go over a speed-bump. It turned out to be a loose heat shield (large one) between the exhaust and the body. one of the fasteners was missing allowing it to flap around and make a racket. I was able to drill out the remaining portion of the fastener and replace it w/ a large stainless rivet to hold the shield in place. ~15 mins and no more clanking noise.

While under the vehicle I did notice quite a bit of rust / corrosion on the exhaust and suspension components, so this may become regular service issue.

I have a 2009 GT with 46k KMS. I am also noticing a lot of rust and corrosion on the exhaust piping. My 12 year old Odyssey didn't have as much. If it is a stainless exhaust system it sure isn't good quality steel. Could be a problem in the future.

Well, turns out it was the rear differential, had it replaced and came under the warranty by 1,000 miles. Recently heard that metal noise under the car and lo and behold it was the exhaust heat shield, all 4 fasteners were gone. Anyone know if you need this as I have ripped it out.

Back