Add DVD Player / System to 2008 Mazda CX-9

My wife and I have bought a 2008 CX-9. We have the package with the sun roof, so there is no dvd system in the car :dodgy: . My question is can I use the main screen on the car and hookup a dvd system to it so I can use the speakers in the car? My friend has told me he knows someone that can do this to TL's but does not know if it is capable on my car. So it seems possible but I am not sure of the setup. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Explain a little better exactly what you are trying to do. You don't have a DVD system now, but what main screen are you talking about?

Coastaletech.com sells kits for Toyota/Lexus/GM for what you want for Mazda.
However, they don't sell a kit for Mazda. You will have to wait, though CX9's Denso is very similar to the one found on Lexus.

I did a similer thing for my wife's Prius to add a backup camera. Another composite input is left open. That could be used to play DVD if I wanted to.

P.S. don't bother to send coastaletech.com emails.
99% of the times, you don't get a reply.

The OP wants to display the video on the 7" MFD (multi-function display).
Watch the demo on coastaletech.com website, and you will know how things operate.
It is possible, but the resolution of the MFD is not great. The quality of image is limited.
Probably only good enough for front passenger.

Scary. As if phones aren't bad enough.

Definately! There is a reason why Mazda and other car makers do not connect or make it easy to connect video feed into the screen of an audio unit or Navigation unit...because it is unsafe and will distract the driver from doing what he/she is suppose to do when driving...pay attention to the road!

Unfortunately, we have the aftermarket to make this possible for knuckle heads that cannot comprehend this concept. There is a reason these systems are called RES (REAR ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM).

Flame on...I know I'll get an earfull.

Get a cheap twin monitor system as suggested earlier and your passenger can sit in the back to watch it. (there are 5 seats back there)

Even the after market units tell you not to use the camera input for anything else.

Better yet, take a break from TV.

I got a cheap $100 set of twin RCA 7" monitors for Christmas from my mom for the little ones and they work great. They just strap on and it's one set of wires to connect them up and the kids love it because it's really the only time they'll spend four hours watching cartoons. And I love it when they're doing something other than screaming at each other.

BTW, I also discover those strap on backseat player does another job very nicely. They prevent your kids from kicking the back of your seat, lol.

Hi! I am new to the forum, but have owned a 2007 CX9 Grand Touring since 3/07. We took our CX9 to Classic Soft Trim and had an entertainment system installed in the 2nd row headsets (they actually replace them). This comes with wireless headsets & retro games already installed. You can also adjust the radio station to have the movie sound play over the speakers. We have 4 kids, so this was a good choice for us since you can actually watch/play each headset independent of each other, or have 1 slave to the other. It looks great & doesn't interfere with your view for backing up like some of the drop down screens. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
The OP wants to display the video on the 7" MFD (multi-function display).
Watch the demo on coastaletech.com website, and you will know how things operate.
It is possible, but the resolution of the MFD is not great. The quality of image is limited.
Probably only good enough for front passenger.

Yeah I wanted the main headscreen to be the dvd player. I have the same setup in my Maxima. Like others have posted my wife also says to only put the dvd screens on headrests. But I am greedy and I want to do all of them and have control over it :D.

Technically it is legal to use the MFD display for playing videos IF it is controlled by an interlock switch
The switch should be on only when gear is put into "P".
This is clear in CA vehicular codes.

i.e. It is safe to watch video if your vehicle is in "P".
I doubt how useful that is.

Yes same thing in FL, but there is always bypass switches that can be installed.

Technically it is legal to use the MFD display for playing videos IF it is controlled by an interlock switch
The switch should be on only when gear is put into "P".
This is clear in CA vehicular codes.

i.e. It is safe to watch video if your vehicle is in "P".
I doubt how useful that is.

Back