Transmission hesitation (?)

AZCX9

We just bought a higher mileage 2007 CX9 the other day and we seem to be having problems left and right with this vehicle. The latest problem manifested itself a few days ago on the freeway. My wife was driving home from work and noticed when she slows down to around 60mph and then speeds up to pass, there is hesitation and some sort of studder while speeding up. We are heading back to the dealer on Monday to see if they can reproduce the issue. My question is, is this "normal" or are we looking at some sort of transmission issue or could it be something else? We really love this vehicle and we want to drive it out of town, but it seems its spending more time in the shop than in our driveway! Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

AWD? Mileage?
More info would help.
Slow engagement of gear could be improved by transmission fluid change.
"Studder" worries me. It could be the shaft (or related), but you did not mention AWD.

Craig: I check that forum and it is exactly what we are experiencing in ours! I wished I had found that one before I started this one! The torque converter may very well be the cause....

BTW we have a 2WD 2007 CX-9 with towing package...81K miles.

The vehicle is at the dealer and they were able to reproduce the issue. It's been in the shop for a day and a half now so hopefully they found the problem. I will post anything I hear.

Just to give an update, the dealer returned the vehicle without any repairs. They could not pinpoint any problems with it, even though they were able to replicate it once. Luckily they didn't charge us for the 120 dollar diagnostic fee which was nice of them.

Since we just bought it, we are going to change the transmission fluid and start fresh to see if this issue persists.

I spoke with Mazda Corp this mornign about my issue and they have been following the reports from my local dealer. They said that they will honor the replacement after my warranty expires if it continues, but I'm droppin git off at the dealer on Monday anyway. This time I am leaving it for them to drive for several days. They don't offer loaners for diagnostics.. :(
the problem seems to be getting worse. It now will studder in 4th, 5th, and 6th under slight load..

Craig

I spoke with Mazda Corp this mornign about my issue and they have been following the reports from my local dealer. They said that they will honor the replacement after my warranty expires if it continues, but I'm droppin git off at the dealer on Monday anyway. This time I am leaving it for them to drive for several days. They don't offer loaners for diagnostics.. :(
the problem seems to be getting worse. It now will studder in 4th, 5th, and 6th under slight load..

Craig

Glad to hear that they will honor the replacement after the warranty expires...that is always a good thing.

Ours is also heading back to the dealer on Monday. The same problem they said they couldn't replicate more than once happened again to my wife 6 times in the span of a minute going up a slight hill on the freeway at 65mph yesterday... There is definitely something wrong with it. This time, instead of dropping it off and telling them what is wrong, we are going to take a tech out and show him what it does. I found out they were testing it going up the off ramp on the freeway, not on the freeway itself - that won't do.

Fun times...fun times.

We were just told by Mazda that it is indeed throttle body and the real crappy part is they told us it isn't covered under our expensive extended warranty! We are going to war with the Nissan dealer that sold this thing to us. They gave us a 60 day warranty..we are well within the period...they had better cover it!

I am half tempted to! Unbelievable.

On a good note though, we got a hold of the owner of the dealer and they offered to pay half of the costs...we were very surprised! Totally unexpected.

I am half tempted to! Unbelievable.

On a good note though, we got a hold of the owner of the dealer and they offered to pay half of the costs...we were very surprised! Totally unexpected.

Half of repair?? What day did you buy your used 2007 CX-9 and how many miles have you put on it since you bought it?

All new car dealerships regardless of make have to offer at the very least a 30 day/1000 mile warranty. If you are within those parameters I'd demand a full repair coverage not just half.

We were just told by Mazda that it is indeed throttle body and the real crappy part is they told us it isn't covered under our expensive extended warranty! We are going to war with the Nissan dealer that sold this thing to us. They gave us a 60 day warranty..we are well within the period...they had better cover it!

Given enough time and mileage, the Ford throttle body on our vehicles will probably exceed a 20% fail rate. Well, at least you know what the problem is.

Half of repair?? What day did you buy your used 2007 CX-9 and how many miles have you put on it since you bought it?

All new car dealerships regardless of make have to offer at the very least a 30 day/1000 mile warranty. If you are within those parameters I'd demand a full repair coverage not just half.

The Nissan dealership gave us a 60 day powertrain warranty which would not cover the throttle body. We were well outside the 30 day / 1000 mile too...my wife drives quite a bit around town. Right now, to us, half is better than nothing. Maybe when we take the bill to them for reimbursement they will look at all the items that we had to do pay for the entire thing...wishful thinking but who knows...The bottom line is this dealership did not do anything to this vehicle prior to selling which is really starting to make me regret buying it. The following weekend after we brought it home I checked the oil and found it a quart and a half low...the tranny fluid was dark as all hell...Tires were shot (replaced yesterday at 860 bucks)...I am taking this as a learning experience and will check EVERYTHING prior to negotiating next time we are ready to buy. A lot of these could have been negotiated into the price of the vehicle.

I appreciate the input on this! Anyone have a similar experience? I sure hope so! Boy was I a sucker!

Wow this is unreal...we got the car back from Mazda this afternoon and my wife took it out on the freeway...no studder or anything...AWESOME it's fixed right? Wrong...tonight my wife just told me its doing it again, but worse! What the heck? Looks like its going back to Mazda on Monday! They swore up and down that it was the throttle body. The service advisor even told us this morning they back up their claim all the way...well now is their chance! Could it be the torque converter or some sort of sensor? Im running out of ideas...anyone?

6/15/10: Update - Found out the new throttle body was never programmed into the ECU which was why, according to the dealer, it would keep studdering...So far, the problems fixed. We will know for sure tomorrow when my wife takes it to work...

Last edited:
Back