Found a Surprise On My New Nitto Tires

Force-1

:
2008 CX-9
Looked closer at my new Nitto tires, as discussed in this thread, and was surprised at what I found.

DSCF1663.jpg

Nitto is a Japanese company.

So is Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru....and they all have U.S. plants where parts and products are made.

Nitto is a Japanese company but obviously has a U.S. based plant.

The thing is that some automaker needs to increase local contents (meaning US contents). Buying tires locally made in US makes a lot of sense since they are heavier to ship around.

Buying tires locally made in US makes a lot of sense since they are heavier to ship around.

That's a good point, I just realized that shipping tires in an overseas container must be a huge waste of space: you can't put anything in the middle of the tire, so basically you're transporting a lot of dead air by volume.

Then again, a colleague once told me that they can hire 13 factory workers in Asia for the price of 1 here in the US, so shipping must really have to be expensive for them to build plants here (fyi, apparently Mexico is a 6:1 ratio)

Having higher local content is politically correct for automobiles, not just for the sake of cost.

The tires we chose were nitto Dura Grapplers. They had a tread pattern that was aggressive enough for good traction in the dirt and in wet weather, had an "E" load rating, and included a 45,000- mile warranty. Nitto also claimed that even with the deep tread, ride noise would still be at a minimum. Once we had our seven new tires (don't forget the spare!) We started our testing.
For our first series of tests, we used an accelerometer to measure traction in both wet and dry conditions. With our old tires, our best dry pavement launch produced an acceleration reading of .59Gs.

Back