CX-9 245/60R18 TireRack Summary

Senn8382

These are the tires I'm considering for my wife's CX-9 in 245/60R18 size. I was tired of bouncing around from screen to screen on TireRack to compare so I made this chart and thought I would share. If there is another tire you want to compare not on the chart in this size, let me know and I can add it.

Richard

Attachments

• CX-9 Tires 24560R18.JPG
    CX-9 Tires 24560R18.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 377
I know Spec-X is not the cheapest, but many owners here have them on the CX9s, and they are great!
That explains the 8.7 rating. Not to mention that there is a $40 rebate on all Yoko tires now.
Yoko Envigor seems to be a great choice also, but it is new, and it seems to be more for dry and wet than snow, judging by the tread pattern. Spec-X, on the other hand, is very capable on snow and ice also.
Its rating also reflects that. Until I see rating on Envigor, my money would be on Spec-X if I were you.

I know Spec-X is not the cheapest, but many owners here have them on the CX9s, and they are great!
That explains the 8.7 rating. Not to mention that there is a $40 rebate on all Yoko tires now.
Yoko Envigor seems to be a great choice also, but it is new, and it seems to be more for dry and wet than snow, judging by the tread pattern. Spec-X, on the other hand, is very capable on snow and ice also.
Its rating also reflects that. Until I see rating on Envigor, my money would be on Spec-X if I were you.

Right now, the Spec-X is in the lead, unless I find positive reviews on that Firestone. I'm in no hurry since I have the summer months but I'm hoping Yoko will run a better discount than a $40 rebate in the coming months.

Paradas. I too did a lot of research on tires first. Parada Spec X easily came out on top, Latitude Tour HP was second.

The AVID ENVigor looks like another nice tire, but won't corner as well as the Parada. It will have longer tread life, though, if you don't drive like I do.

(outie)

Paradas. I too did a lot of research on tires first. Parada Spec X easily came out on top, Latitude Tour HP was second.

The AVID ENVigor looks like another nice tire, but won't corner as well as the Parada. It will have longer tread life, though, if you don't drive like I do.

(outie)

If it was me driving, it would be okay but since it's my wife who thinks she is some kind of sponsored Nascar driver at every corner I'm a little concerned about tread life.

I keep asking questions because I have way to much time on my hands at work right now, so I just sit and read TireRack reviews and second guessing. When the time comes it will be the Spec-X that goes on the CX-9 and I will be sure to post my thoughts.

I won't do it again, and don't recommend it, but the CX9 was flawless at that speed. Amazing car.
To add to the topic, I doubt I would have attempted it with a tire other then the Parada Spec X.

(I also wouldn't have tried it on anything but an Arizona Interstate, Californians)

Last edited:
I believe it, we've had our CX-9 just a couple weeks and I love driving it.

My everyday driver is an LT3 z71 crew cab chevy, which I love but I can't help but want to drive the CX-9 it's got so much pep and the control and handling is out of this world. We have to pull onto a major highway leaving the neighborhood (70 mph) and some days are harder to get than others. The truck really buckles down sometimes trying to get up to speed with traffic, but it's almost effortless for the CX-9.

I feel much better knowing that my wife is driving this vehicle, it's perfect fit.

The Envigor is newer generation silica based low-rolling-resistance compound (I just had a set put on my 2009 Honda Fit). In the 20" size, the Envigor costs about $30 more per tire than the Parada, but I don't think it can match the winter performance of the Parada, though it will have a marginal fuel efficiency benefit.

Either way, Yokohama is putting out some premium rubber these days, especially compared to the price of competing Michelins.

Hi Senn8382 thanks for the chart.quite useful..new here and with tyres, based in a really hot country(uae), peak summers, temp reaches to around 50 or more, thats in the shade. do u think the yokohomas will hold in the heat.. also do u think 50k Kms is a good mileage for the bridgestone duellers??
thx
reghu

A word of caution about LRR tires (low rolling resistance).
They usually:
- have think side walls: less flexing, wear outer edges, heavier
note: pump up PSI to even out wear
- are less sticky: less summer performance, longer stopping distance

Toyota have been putting LRR tires on all their hybrids. Complaints can be easily found
on the web.

Envigor is claimed to be the "new generation" LRR. We will see how it performs....

Yokohama's secret ingredient in their new low rolling resistance tires is orange oil. They say orange oil viscosity goes down when the tire heats up, making for better grip and handling. Their new LRR tires cost more due to the use of orange oil and more natural rubber.

Yokohama's secret ingredient in their new low rolling resistance tires is orange oil. They say orange oil viscosity goes down when the tire heats up, making for better grip and handling. Their new LRR tires cost more due to the use of orange oil and more natural rubber.

I saw that too but I don't think they used orange oil in the Avid ENVigor. They are only using it on 2 models right now:

Advan ENV-R2
dB Super E-spec

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...your_tires_yokohama_db_super_e-spec-tech_dept

Back