Oil Pressure gauge install - Prosport Premium

Sledgehammer

:
Mazdaspeed6
Im attempting to install a oil pressure gauge on my Speed6 but am clueless as to where to install the sensor. Prosport has a page where you can purchase adapter plates so you can screw the sensor in but do they have one that fits our 2.3l engine?

Link http://prosportgauges.com/oil-filter-adaptor-plate.aspx

Because of our internal filter, I dont think that this type of adapter will work? Requesting help from others who have installed this gauge successfully, or links.

You are right. You need to install a spin on oil conversion kit so you can use the adapter. Unfortunately its like 80 bucks. But it makes oil changes easier and you can also install a oil pressure gauge very easily with the 2 bungs. Im pretty sure you need to drain your oil partially when you install it so it might be in your interest to wait until your next oil change.

Sorry for the bad news. Well it was bad news for me.

street unit . com has it there too. But the one you linked looks fine.

In terms of how-to I don't think there is one. But its a pretty simple install. Im sure if you get under there you can figure it out. I haven't done it myself so im not sure exactly what it entails.

Just changed the oil 500 miles ago. Do you have a link to the conversion kit? I looked for a How-To in the obvious section, but did not see one.

*edit* will this do? http://www.protegegarage.com/1210-product-1210.html

Yes. That will fit perectly. That along with the oil adapter will let you run the oil pressure sender. It is also a little tricky to find a good position for the sender since it sticks out so much. I had to angle mine twards the front of the car. I have almost 1/2" clearance from it hitting anything.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I got stuck on the power wiring though. Im running the red wire into the #2 fuse slot on the interior fuse box. The amber power off the cigarette lighter wire, and grounding to the bolt just below the black ECU box. When I turn the ignition to ACC, the gauges emit a high pitched sound for 3 seconds while doing its traditional sweep start, then the sound stops, the gauge goes blank and after another second turns on. Meanwhile if I try to start the car, you hear a click from the ignition, all lights go off, and the all the electronics die. All wiring is enclosed and no apparent shorts. Ideas?

I know on my premium boost gauge that the high pitched noise will only happen when the ignition is turned to the on position. It lasts for about 3 seconds and is very annoying. Along with the sweeps.

My Prosport Premium Exhaust Temp gauge does that as well... Was ok with it at first... but not just bigs the s*** out of me.

You can turn the sound off on the gauges. I can't remember exactly how to do it, but I think you hold the button on the guage for about 5-6 seconds when you power it on. Try that, if that doesn't work I would call prosport and ask them. But I do know that you can turn off the sound.

Heres a quote froma guys response to a youtube video on these gauges. "Just hold all the peak buttons throughout the whole opening ceremony and it'll turn the beep off. This will turn off the warning beep if the gauge reading gets over the warning limit though. " I'm gonna try this tomorrow.

Yep. That's how you do it. It will turn the sound off until you disconnect the power supply and it will reset itself.

You dont need to do the spin-on oil filter conversion to run the oil pressure gauge. Full disclosure, I have not done this mod, but I did look into what it would take because I did not want to void the warranty with a spin on conversion.

You will need to remove the original oil pressure switch (located near the filter housing), add a union, a length of hose, and a tee. On one side of the tee, you put the stock sensor. On the other side, you put the new sender. I believe the connections are 1/4" NPT connections. Bad part is that all the adapters and hose will run you about 60-80 bucks.

Back