Check engine light help

Speedzoom

:
2006 mazdaspeed 6
So my car is just over 50k miles and a check engine light just came on. The car drives perfectly fine, no problems at all. I took it to advance auto parts to get it read and the scanner just kept saying link error. The guy ended up telling me that where he was plugging it into was probably loose and thats why there was a check engine light on and also why he was getting a link error message. Anyone have any idea on why that would happen or what it is? Also, the only engine mods I have so far is cobb intake and forge BPV and ive had them both on for at least 10k miles with no problems.

What year and series (6/MS6) is your car? If `05 or newer, your car is OBD2 "CAN" version and the guy was likely trying to connect the older OBD2 version code scanner.

Yeah, the guy is most likely wrong and was using the wrong device. Try another store or buy yourself some diagnostic tools. I always recommend a Dashhawk for Speed3/6 owners to keep tabs on the engine performance. You can also buy a simple code scanner (OBD CAN)for < $50.

lol, forzda i see you as a smart guy... USUALLY...buahaha i found it funny that you totally didnt connect the dots with the OP... pointing out he has a forge BPV, then you ask what model 6 he has.... i giggled. brainfart moment, classic!!! i do that all teh time. hah

but yey speedzoom, forzda is prolly right about him using the wrong scan tool.
Once you do pull the code you should be able to get a much clearer idea.

WTF! Yeah, I blew right past the BPV comment. I was "multi-tasking". Dang I hate it when work stuff gets in the way of my forum time! lol

Back