2009 CX9 with 21k and just got new front rotors

rgn2000

I have never had rotors replaced this early on any car I have owned. The interesting thing is I replaced all 4 tires just a short while ago and from the day I picked the car up it seemed to have some vibration and eventually got worse. Could they have done something when changing the tires?

Are other people finding that you have to change the rotors this quick?

I wonder if you were very careful during break-in period, I did.
My pads are still in good shape after 27K miles, and I mostly do
mixed driving with occasional long trips.

The vibration you feel may be from tires not well-balanced.

Vibration could also be warped rotors, not just unbalanced wheels.

Definitely 21k miles for new tires and rotors is not normal.

Check this 4/30/10 post from Thaumaturge on the Braking Vibration thread. May be worth a try before going for rotor replacement.

"This happens on all makes and models...

Contrary to very popular belief, there is no such thing as a "warped" rotor thick or thin caused by normal use. Even tightening the lug nuts past spec will only cause the rotor to conform to the shape of the wheel assuming it's the stronger element of the two.

Check out this article from a company involved in racing for more detals: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

To summarize, brake judder/shudder is caused by physical changes in the surface of the brake rotor due to heat experienced in normal stop and go driving. The more agressive you are with sudden stops, the faster these changes can occur. Particles of cementite are formed in the surface of the rotor that are harder and result in less friction. Because the particles are not formed uniformly over the surface, you wind up with uneven friction and the characterstic pulsating effect.

Before replacing your rotors or pads, try this procedure known as bedding the brakes (you should also do this for new brake installs):

Locate a long stretch of road several miles long.
During a period of little traffic (late night) on this road, get up to 60 mph and brake medium hard down to below 40 mph, then go back up to 60.
Repeat this process 6 times without stopping. It's important to never stop.
Yes, your brakes will get very hot, stink, and maybe even smoke. They will probably fade too, so be careful. Keep in mind that older brake fluid may boil under these conditions and chemically change. If fade continues, get the fluid replaced.

Once done, drive without braking at speed for at least a minute or two to cool everything off.

What you're trying to do is to burn off the cementite or at least create a uniformity of deposits to eliminate the judder. I have routinely used this procedure on all my vehicles for 20+ years with good results. I have never had to have a rotor turned to eliminate judder though one can understand that shaving off a layer of metal would also get rid of the cementite deposits.

As always your mileage may vary."

It's funny because a lot of the manufacturers aren't even recommending bedding procedures for their pads anymore. I still do it anyway though.

I noticed that our CX9 had new front brakes when we bought it at 30,000 miles. I wonder if it was due to the rotors too...

Back