50,000 mile maintenance

I took my '08 CX-9 GT AWD into the dealer for it's free oil change recently, and the dealer tried to sell me the 50,000 mile tune-up. I, of course, refused, but I was looking at my maintenance schedule, and was trying to figure out what maintenance is truly required. I read another post about spark plug life, so I decided to put that maintenance off for now. But I was wondering about the rear differential fluid. Does anybody recommend that I replace the fluid? Has anybody attempted to replace the fluid themselves?

Thanks,
Thppbt

Don't buy into those 15K, 30K, 45K, 60K sorts of services.
Those are packaged to rip you off.
Read the maintenance schedule and do only those items that are recommended by Mazda.
A maintenance schedule can also be found on MazdaUSA.com website if you register as an owner.

The best part of what they tried to sell you is that there is not a 50,000 mile service required. Depending on how miles you go between oil changes, the next one could be right around 50,000 miles, but that's it.

So if my manual recommends to change the differential fluid, can I attempt it myself, or should I let the professionals handle it? Has anyone else changed their differential fluid?

So if my manual recommends to change the differential fluid, can I attempt it myself, or should I let the professionals handle it? Has anyone else changed their differential fluid?

I haven't on the CX-9, but I have on other cars. It's no big deal. There are two holes: a fill hole and a drain hole. Make SURE your fill hole bolt will come out before you drain. Make sure you have the manufacturer's specified type of fluid. I like the ones that come in squeeze bottles; it makes the whole thing easier. Fill to the correct spec, and you're done.

No rear diff. on mine so I don't have to worry about it. However, i have done this service on my brother's CR-V and it is very easy. Like the other said, make sure you buy the correct fluid and it should be a breeze to do yourself. If you can't find the specified fluid in the squeeze top form make sure you buy a $1 manual pump to pump the fluid into the rear diff. Also check the capacity of fluid it takes so you don't overfill, although most manufacturers place the fill plug at the right height to fill the diff. with the correct amount of fluid without over filling. So either pump/squeeze the amount specified or pump/squeeze fluid until it starts to spill out of the fill hole. Good Luck!

Back