Chains on 20" Tires

chumanji9

According to my manual. I can NOT put snow chains on the 20" rim/tires. Only the 18" can be use with chains? Is this true? The manual said the 20" tires and chain would cause interferance problem with the body. I thought the OD of both the 20" and 18" is the same...

I bought cable chains to satisfy the CHP in California. That way I am carrying chains. I do no not intend on using them unless absolute necessary. I fell they will work in a pinch.

I have replaced my original tires with Michelin Latitude Tour Hp. They are S and M rated. I feel they are the best on the Market. With that said look for all the others to chime in on Pardia's. It may be the money why they did not buy Michelin, who knows?

I can tell you who will be the first to respond, but I will wait and see. I think we all know!!!

My .02C

Tom

I use Autosocks (on Amazon). They are very easy to install and don't have a jarring ride. Although they don't list the CX-9 OEM 20" tire size (245/50/20), I did closely inspect their other sizes and went with a size 785. It seems to fit well but I have not tried it in the snow. The reviews all say these work very well. Europe HAS a size 780 for the the OEM tires but it is not yet available in the states. The US distributor is frustrated with Autosock's lack of response on the issue. I thought of buying the right size but the shipping to the US made it an expensive proposition.

Supposedly, if you put the snow cables/chains on the 20" wheels/tires, the cables on the edges may rub against the wheels. I have a set brand-new in box which I have not used yet. Like o.c.cx9, I have carry it as a fall-back option. AWD serves me well on all skii trips so far.

Yeah, this issue caught me off guard when I bought my GT. I ended up going out and buying a set of rims and Blizzaks from TireRack for the wonderful price of ~$1400. And I only needed them once this year, so a little disappointed. If I had had this thing last year I would've used it way more frequently with the crazy weather we had.

As with Ceric, we only carry chains/cables in California to make the CHP happy.

As long as you have AWD or 4WD and M&S tires you will be OK. I have been skiing in Mammoth Lakes for the past 40 years and have never put on chains as long as I had AWD or 4WD and M&S tires.

I was in Mammoth many years back when they shut the town down for incoming traffic and still didn't need chains to get out.

I think from now on I will carry the snow sock just to save room.

Tom

I bought chains specifically for my CX-9 GT AWD and have since sold the vehicle. I never used them, but had to carry them since the CHP in California requires it. I have seen other Mazda CX-9 owners use these same chains with no problem. These are mainly designed for vehicles with very limited operating clearance around the drive tires. Very easy installation with no need to move the vehicle and include "designed in" rubber tighteners. As I stated, these are brand new and come in a canvas storage sack (still have factory plastic seals). They are Security Chain Company part number SZ435 and fit a variety of tire sizes (check out the SCC website). Paid $112 for these...call me at 909-597-5021 and make me an offer.
thx, Danny

Back