Parking brake/brakes stuck

:
Mazdaspeed 6 GT
Thats right let ebrake down put it in gear and it was stuck as in would not move at all. The day before it rained real bad and I drove in it. It also did this before when it snowed and got real cold.

I was thinking the brakes were stuck? What do you guys think. It made a loud clunk when I forced it to move. It felt like the brakes sticking

its a little rust on the rotors, whenever it rains i get that too.
you should also make threads in the proper sections.

Last edited:
i get that every now and again every time it rains and i let the car sit for a few days after...i let the e-brake down and put it into reverse and you hear a popping sound out of the rear. if it bothers you that much don't use the e-brake in the rain and just keep the car in gear.....now if the car is "stuck" as you say and will not move while giving it some gas then something is wrong.

I get noises.. all the time.. but, ive never had it lock up on me? but, im living so cal we dont get too much real weather here..

I have had this happen, to the point that I had to give it a good rev and felt the car hunch down until it finally broke loose. Probably just the pad sticking to the rotor, but I am going to mention it next time I go into the dealership (going to have a few odds looked at and talk to them about my knocking).

I have this happen to mine quite often, in fact I suspect it's the reason that I had to replace my rear pads and rotors at only 29,000 miles.

Thanks for all the comments yea Im pretty sure its the brakes.. Because its only done it when I drove it in heavy weather or when I got a bunch of snow up in it and the brakes actually failed.. I almost hit a car one time it was snowing and I went to stop and the brakes would not work they would just vibrate.

Scary.. I plan on getting my brakes done soon any suggestions on spraying stuff on the caliper to make it not stick?

was the vibration just the ABS kicking in???? sometimes that can feel like you have no brakes....just saying. Hope you dont have any bigger problems than that.
I wouldnt recommend spraying anything on the pads to keep them from sticking, thats just asking for trouble. I think the sticking has to do with using the parking brake as I only notice it when I use it.
My theory is that trapped moisture under the pad causes the rotor to rust slightly causing that temporary bond of the two surfaces. We all know how quickly these stock rotors rust :)
Maybe an aftermarket "better quality" rotor and pad combo will help the situation??

was the vibration just the ABS kicking in???? sometimes that can feel like you have no brakes....just saying. Hope you dont have any bigger problems than that.
I wouldnt recommend spraying anything on the pads to keep them from sticking, thats just asking for trouble. I think the sticking has to do with using the parking brake as I only notice it when I use it.
My theory is that trapped moisture under the pad causes the rotor to rust slightly causing that temporary bond of the two surfaces. We all know how quickly these stock rotors rust :)
Maybe an aftermarket "better quality" rotor and pad combo will help the situation??

Makes sense thank you.. Yea I park in the garage its a level surface so I should not worry about using the ebrake so much.. Im looking into brake/pad combos now..

I would look into a pad and rotor combo that heats up quicker? im not sure about rotors? but, they usually have some pads that should heat up quicker? this is a good tech point to cover.. i had no idea these brakes would fail in snow conditions?? that sucks..

As above I think it was the ABS like the guy said but The car was not stopping period.. It scared the crap out of me luckily I was able to switch lanes and not rear-end the person

Moved to the appropriate section, and changed the title to better reflect the issue.

Once again, Mark, these brakes don't fail in snow conditions. That has to be one of the most asinine assumptions you could make.

OP, it's a typical thing. If I wash the car or drive in rain/snow, the brakes will "pop" as I roll out of the driveway and give it some gas. I'd guess it's a result of basic galvanic corrosion forming on the pads/rotors, and it's easily defeated by a quick stop.

As for a solution, I don't know. I'm still on stock pads/rotors. Maybe someone with aftermarket replacements has a solution that might work well and not rust as fast.

I haven't noticed this happening since I swapped out rear pads and rotors. It hasn't been long since I've swapped though.
I used napa ultra premium rotors and akebono ceramic rear pads if anyone is wondering.

I haven't noticed this happening since I swapped out rear pads and rotors. It hasn't been long since I've swapped though.
I used napa ultra premium rotors and akebono ceramic rear pads if anyone is wondering.

Same here. I replaced pads and rotors with AutoZones best at 23k and haven't had a problem since (it's been about 10k)

im surprised nobody actually knows what it was. this used to happen to me all the time, only on the back left. its something with the linkage from the ebake cable and where it connects to the brakes. theres a little spring hook that would stay locked up so i used to just knock it loose with a ratchet or push it with my fingers. eventually i got pissed and just unlinked the cable on that side but then the ebrake only worked half as good (obviously HALF). i just put it on again a few minutes ago actually. so not sure why, but just hit it with some wd40

Back