Significant "jerk" when shifting into reverse

gwkenne

:
2008 CX-9 Touring
I looked through previous posts and didn't see this topic addressed, but apologize if I am repeating.

2008 CX-9 Touring w/ 20k miles. When shifting from park to reverse when the car is cold there is a significant "jerk" presumably from the transmission. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Heading to dealer next week but would like to be prepared if there is a known or common issue.

Now that you mention it I feel it too, but only when cold (when first moved in the morning). I figured it probably is the engine reving a little high trying to reach normal operating temperature and engaging into reverse (pretty normal for any vehicle) but also that fact that I have the mysterious "click-click" noise that seems to be a broken transmission mount. Perhaps the "jerk" is also associated to the "click-click" issue of the transmission mount...???

Same for me, primarily in the morning. Also parked in the garage. I don't recall this issue when we first bought the vehicle but have noticed it more recently. I'm not the primary driver but probably drive it around once a week and it is quite noticable to me.

Mine does this too, but it must have something to do with cold weather. It never does it when I back out of my garage, which rarely gets below 55 degrees. It only seems to do it when it sits outside at my office. I get a clunk from the front end when I shift into reverse.

Now that you mention it I feel it too, but only when cold (when first moved in the morning). I figured it probably is the engine reving a little high trying to reach normal operating temperature and engaging into reverse (pretty normal for any vehicle) but also that fact that I have the mysterious "click-click" noise that seems to be a broken transmission mount. Perhaps the "jerk" is also associated to the "click-click" issue of the transmission mount...???

The click click is your front wheel hub splines. They need to be packed with new grease.

I`ve had that click like....since forever.
Yeah, its annoying.
I need to grease the splines...(scratch)

Same thing happens to ours...every morning first thing, start it up, put it into reverse and "cling"...sounds like two aluminum baseball bats slightly hitting each other...Our dealer can't reproduce it either. Frusturating.

The click-click is the hub splines. The cling is the transmission lock releasing the weight of the vehicle. Use the parking brake, instead of PARK to hold the vehicle.

The click-click is the hub splines. The cling is the transmission lock releasing the weight of the vehicle. Use the parking brake, instead of PARK to hold the vehicle.

I don't think using the parking brake instead of PARK on the transmission is all that smart. Most parking brakes are really assist brakes and not intended for use as an alternative to using the transmission as park.

Mazda does not recommend using the parking brake in freezing conditions as it might freeze.

Just my .02c

Not what I said.

Of course you always use PARK. But under non freezing conditions, you should always use the parking break to remove undue stress from the locking pin in the transmission. That's why, under freezing conditions, Mazda still instructs you to block the rear wheels. The locking pin should never be used alone. Especially on a vehicle this heavy. They've made it far to easy not to use the P Brake.

FYI, even in single digits temps and snow storms, I used the P Brake with no problems. You'd really have to park in a driving sleet or freezing rain to even consider not using the P Brake.

Last edited:
I use my parking brake each and every time I park my 9, so that's not the issue in my case.

Now that the weather has warmed up mine has not done it, confirming that in my case it's related to cooler temps.

Thanks. We will try that out...Never heard that sound before on other vehicles which was why I was questioning it.

CX9SO...Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the correct sequence is to depress the foot brake, then set the parking brake, then shift to park. This minimize stress on the park paw/pin, especially on an incline.

Placing the trans in park, then releasing the foot brake, then setting the parking brake still allows stress on the park pin.

Using the correct sequence avoids the slight roll, forward or back, that you'll feel if you only use park to restrain the vehicle. Not to mention a run away vehicle should it be rammed and the park pin is disengaged or fractured while parked on an incline. Or in a tight parking space, having the slight roll cause your CX9 to kiss the car in front of you when the foot brake is released.

X 2 ^^^

Come to a complete stop DO NOT release brake pedal, put in PARK still pressing brake pedal, set parking brake, then release brake pedal.

By the way, and hope this is helpful for everyone out there with the same prob

"The click click is your front wheel hub splines. They need to be packed with new grease"

I did exactly that. Greased the front wheel hub splines and now the click click, (which was quite worst, coming not only when the vehicle was cold and in reverse, but "hot" and going forward as well. Especially when going off the line a bit quicker.) it is now GONE.

By the way, my mechanic said that it was weird, that they never grease that area of the cars, but I told him what I knew from this forum, and it worked wonders.

(cheers2)

I have noticed the jerk, and clunk, when engaging the transmission as well. It normally happens when the truck is sitting on an incline, which happens a lot where I live since our street is on a hill. I always use the parking brake and set it before I put the trans in park. Sometimes it's worse than others and it sounds like something is going to break.

I also got this problem recently. It usually happens in the morning.

Is it possible related to the problem of battery or starter? At first my keyless didn't work, then I followed the reprogramming instructions but failed. After that, I started facing this jerk problem and some delay when I start the engine in the morning.

Any ideas?

Same problem here..have a GT. Mine is garaged, and I find if I let it warm up a bit first, the tranny 'clunk' disappears. Definitely advise the use of the parking brake on inclines as well...

Back