Final Word on Transmission Oil?

From the lengthy threads we had on oils, maybe someone could put up a "summary" of sorts?

I am particularly interested in synthetic transmission fluid.

Amsoil's Universal Transmission Fluid meets those specs. I haven't looked up any others yet. I plan on doing our CX-9 pretty soon.

OK...so I am getting ready to do a transmission flush here at work. I just want to verify that JWS3309 fluid is the same as Toyota's ATF T-IV.

Reason I ask is because we have a Toyota dealer and I can get the ATF T-IV for $3.48 a quart. Labor is only $35 for me, so that is $72.85 total for labor and 10 quarts of T-IV including tax...thats a deal for a trans flush done proffesionally!

$3.48 is a great deal. I just got Toyota T4 for $5.04, and I thought that was cheap. But that's for my Toyota, not sure about the CX-9. I'm curious as well.

The OE fluid is proprietary, but other OEMs use the same fluid so it is possible to purchase the "approved" fluid for less money from Toyota.

There are universal or "multi-vehicle" transmission fluids. These fluids are blended by vendors such as Valvoline and incorporate the usage of conventional or synthetic basestocks and a multi-vehicle additive package from an additive company such as Lubrizol:

http://www.lubrizol.com/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=33300

My local AAMCO dealer can perform the flush & fill for about 1/2 the cost of the dealership. I asked him about the fluid they use and he said their fluid meets all manufacturers specs, although he did mention that because Volkswagen has some proprietary fluid that must be a different color, VW has been known to give their customers some hassles if they determine the tranny fluid was replaced by another brand. Again, this is what 'Bob' told me.

I'm sure the fluid used by this place either comes out of a 55 gal drum, or larger, so there will be no bottle label to read......I'm just wondering if I'll be okay using this place to service my tranny and differential. My buddy has used them to service his cars and so far, he's been happy with them.

Any thoughts?

My local AAMCO dealer can perform the flush & fill for about 1/2 the cost of the dealership. I asked him about the fluid they use and he said their fluid meets all manufacturers specs, although he did mention that because Volkswagen has some proprietary fluid that must be a different color, VW has been known to give their customers some hassles if they determine the tranny fluid was replaced by another brand. Again, this is what 'Bob' told me.

I'm sure the fluid used by this place either comes out of a 55 gal drum, or larger, so there will be no bottle label to read......I'm just wondering if I'll be okay using this place to service my tranny and differential. My buddy has used them to service his cars and so far, he's been happy with them.

Any thoughts?

Pete,

Why don't you buy 1 case (12qts) of Toyota T-4 either online or walk into a Toyota dealer and take the fluid yourself to AAMCO and tell them to charge you just for the labor and to use your fluid. (you might want to ask AAMCO first if they are willing to do this and how much it is just for the labor of doing it) This way you know for sure the fluid that is going into your CX-9 is the correct one. You may end up paying a little more or maybe the same but peace of mind will definately be worth the price. JMHO!

Pete,

Why don't you buy 1 case (12qts) of Toyota T-4 either online or walk into a Toyota dealer and take the fluid yourself to AAMCO and tell them to charge you just for the labor and to use your fluid. (you might want to ask AAMCO first if they are willing to do this and how much it is just for the labor of doing it) This way you know for sure the fluid that is going into your CX-9 is the correct one. You may end up paying a little more or maybe the same but peace of mind will definately be worth the price. JMHO!

Good Point!
I should have thought of that since I've done that for regular engine oil changes in the past.
I'll have to make some phone calls and check pricing and willingness of the AAMCO folks to accept outside fluid. They informed me that they use Dextron V for their fluid changes......which I don't think is an acceptable replacement in the 9.

I've never seen the replacement procedure on a transmission (flush and refill).......but I'm wondering if it will be a pain in the butt for the technician to refill the tranny using 10 individual quarts of oil versus what they might typically use....probably a hose with a fitting which they can just pump the fluid from.

Thanks!!

Good Point!
I should have thought of that since I've done that for regular engine oil changes in the past.
I'll have to make some phone calls and check pricing and willingness of the AAMCO folks to accept outside fluid. They informed me that they use Dextron V for their fluid changes......which I don't think is an acceptable replacement in the 9.

I've never seen the replacement procedure on a transmission (flush and refill).......but I'm wondering if it will be a pain in the butt for the technician to refill the tranny using 10 individual quarts of oil versus what they might typically use....probably a hose with a fitting which they can just pump the fluid from.

Thanks!!

Pete,

I am sure that AAMCO as well as any other proffesional shop uses a similar method which involves a machine that contains two tanks. One tank is for the old fuid being pumped out, the other is for nice fresh clean new fluid. If they accept for yout to take your own fluid, they are simply going to pour out all 12 or so quarts into the "clean" tank and pump the fluid in. Yes they may have big 55gl drums of trans fluid but ultimately they have to pump it out of the drums to put it into the fluid exchange machine's clean tank to do the service...and no, absolutely not, is Dextron-V a direct replacement for our CX-9s. Our CX-9 use JS-3309 fluid or Toyota T-4 trans fluid only!

Pete,

I am sure that AAMCO as well as any other proffesional shop uses a similar method which involves a machine that contains two tanks. One tank is for the old fuid being pumped out, the other is for nice fresh clean new fluid. If they accept for yout to take your own fluid, they are simply going to pour out all 12 or so quarts into the "clean" tank and pump the fluid in. Yes they may have big 55gl drums of trans fluid but ultimately they have to pump it out of the drums to put it into the fluid exchange machine's clean tank to do the service...and no, absolutely not, is Dextron-V a direct replacement for our CX-9s. Our CX-9 use JS-3309 fluid or Toyota T-4 trans fluid only!

Thanks,
I called them back - got a different guy this time, who said they don't use Dextron V, they use Dextron III. But he did say they would use my fluid if I brought it in. Is Dextron III still different than the T-4 and 3309 fluids?

Amsoil's Universal Transmission Fluid meets those specs. I haven't looked up any others yet. I plan on doing our CX-9 pretty soon.

That's what I use...100% real synthetic and it gives the peace of mind knowing that it tolerates heat, cold, evaporation and shearing much better than the stock mineral fluid.

OK...so I am getting ready to do a transmission flush here at work. I just want to verify that JWS3309 fluid is the same as Toyota's ATF T-IV.

Reason I ask is because we have a Toyota dealer and I can get the ATF T-IV for $3.48 a quart. Labor is only $35 for me, so that is $72.85 total for labor and 10 quarts of T-IV including tax...thats a deal for a trans flush done proffesionally!

When do you do the trans flush according to the manual? Months/miles format

That's what I use...100% real synthetic and it gives the peace of mind knowing that it tolerates heat, cold, evaporation and shearing much better than the stock mineral fluid.

So you are using it in your CX-9? That's what I was going to use. However, I am on the fence. It is very expensive and if I was to change oil every 40,000, maybe I don't need synth.

Manual doesn't state mileage, but I say replacing trans fluid every 30K or so wouldnt hurt, specially if I pay $70 or so to do it.

So you are using it in your CX-9? That's what I was going to use. However, I am on the fence. It is very expensive and if I was to change oil every 40,000, maybe I don't need synth.

You have no need to replace synthetic ATF at 40,000 miles under conditions that 99% of CX-9's operate under. Maybe if you were towing max capacity or 4-wheeling in your AWD every day...if not, you can easily get 80,000 - 100,000 miles from a full 14 quart ATF exchange. It is around $8.00 per quart with the discount.

From Amsoil's site:
SERVICE LIFE
Recommended for 50,000 miles in severe service* and 100,000 miles in normal service;* or per vehicle manufacturer-recommended intervals, whichever is longer.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/atf.aspx

Back