I got hitched this weekend!!

sreddos

:
2010 CX-9 GT
I put my Hidden Hitch on the truck today. And I put my Softride bike rack together. Can't wait to go on a bike ride once the rain stops and the weather warms up.

I have a question for anyone who has put a hitch on themselves. If you look at the picture of under the frame where the mounting bolts are, you see I drew an arrow to 2 of the bolts. These are the middle and farthest to the back bolts on the passenger side. How did you get a torque wrench with a socket on there to tighten it up? I am using the shortest 19mm socket I can find and I am about 1/4" to long and the box under there prevents me from getting the socket on there. I had to use a wrench to get the bolts on. If nothing else, I am going to cut a socket down to be able to get the torque wrench on there, but I would rather not to.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 100_2787.JPG
    100_2787.JPG
    811 KB · Views: 878
  • 100_2788.JPG
    100_2788.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 782
  • 100_2793.JPG
    100_2793.JPG
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 765
  • 100_2786.JPG
    100_2786.JPG
    636.3 KB · Views: 705
You are not alone.
The socket of my torque wrench is too long also.
I used a regular wrench to tigthen it as much as I can.
It is OK for me since it is only for bike rack, not towing.
I have Hidden Hitch also. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I installed my CX-9 hitch myself, and in order for me to use a torque wrench, I had to loosen the screws of that black module thingy so I can move it out of the way. It was still a tight fit, but it did work. Looks good, good luck.

I installed my CX-9 hitch myself, and in order for me to use a torque wrench, I had to loosen the screws of that black module thingy so I can move it out of the way. It was still a tight fit, but it did work. Looks good, good luck.

Thanks. I thought about that, but don't you have to loosen those from the inside of the vehicle? How much of a PTA is it to get to them? 4 of the 6 bolts are tightened to spec, and the other 2 I got as tight as I could with a wrench, so I am not to worried. I don't plan on hauling anything beyond the bike rack. If I feel the need to get those last 2, I'll just shorten the depth of a socket and do it that way.

I was impressed with how easy it was to install the hitch. Took me and my dad about 20 minutes to put it up. Bike rack took 15 minutes to put together.

I put my Hidden Hitch on the truck today. And I put my Softride bike rack together. Can't wait to go on a bike ride once the rain stops and the weather warms up.

I have a question for anyone who has put a hitch on themselves. If you look at the picture of under the frame where the mounting bolts are, you see I drew an arrow to 2 of the bolts. These are the middle and farthest to the back bolts on the passenger side. How did you get a torque wrench with a socket on there to tighten it up? I am using the shortest 19mm socket I can find and I am about 1/4" to long and the box under there prevents me from getting the socket on there. I had to use a wrench to get the bolts on. If nothing else, I am going to cut a socket down to be able to get the torque wrench on there, but I would rather not to.

Any suggestions?

My suggestion would be to lose that silly insert in the hitch itself. "Go Blue."

I just installed my new Class III Hidden Hitch last evening and had the same issue. Once I tightened it down a little with an open ended wrench though, I was able to get my torque wrench in the space between the spare tire crank module and "frame." I was so pleased with the ease of installation of this hitch-this is how things should always work. I'm also pleased with the way the unit looks. I was surprised to see how concealed it is. Now, I just need to purchase wire harness and re-read postings on this site for trailer wiring.

I just installed my new Class III Hidden Hitch last evening and had the same issue. Once I tightened it down a little with an open ended wrench though, I was able to get my torque wrench in the space between the spare tire crank module and "frame." I was so pleased with the ease of installation of this hitch-this is how things should always work. I'm also pleased with the way the unit looks. I was surprised to see how concealed it is. Now, I just need to purchase wire harness and re-read postings on this site for trailer wiring.

I am also thinking about buying and installing this hitch myself. But I think I read somewhere on these forums that you can go to Uhaul and buy their electrical harness and have them install it (the electrical harness). That might be the way that I go, since I will probably use my hitch for the occasional trailer for yardwork thing.

I am also thinking about buying and installing this hitch myself. But I think I read somewhere on these forums that you can go to Uhaul and buy their electrical harness and have them install it (the electrical harness). That might be the way that I go, since I will probably use my hitch for the occasional trailer for yardwork thing.

I have a 2009 CX9 with no trailer towing option. I live in Houston so there are no steep inclines and have the need for towing a 16' trailer with dual 3.5 ton axles...the drives would be no more than 50 miles one way and I would not be hauling anything heavier than an ATV for service at the dealer.

What would be the best way to go? Can U-haul do a quality install on the trailer harness and make it work properly with the braking system? I have 14K on my car and do not want to give Mazda any latitude on room to void my warranty.

Finally, it does get hot down here in the summer, so I would not want to overheat her w/out the larger radiator/etc. Concerns?

Your experienced comments/suggestions would be welcomed.

Regards,
tstex

Last edited:
For your trailer you have to add more trans cooling, and run a fused power line for lights and electric brakes.

How do you add more trans-cooling? What would be a dealer drive-out est on this? if this is more than the total # of times over 3 yrs I would need to use the trailer [2-3 times/yr max], then I will rent a truck with hitch.

thx,
tstex

Nice hitch. Was wondering if you could tell me where you purchased it from and how much? Ever since I traded my truck for my cx9, I've been wanting to buy a rack but I don't have a hitch. thx

If you can DIY, try etrailer.com. They have all brands of hitches for CX9.
Instalation is very easy if someone can help you hold it for a few minutes (or use a jack stand).

I recommend getting someone to help you when you do it, makes things easier. I tried it by myself using a jack stand, and the hitch is a little heavy to try and balance while manuevering it into place. If you don't have a bike rack yet, I really recommend the Softride rack, also from etrailer.com. It is a little more pricey compared to some basic ones, but it works great. Especially when getting into the back hatch when you have bikes on the rack. We have a Burley bike trailer for our boys and it's easy to get into the hatch without the bikes laying on the ground.

I bought a Curt Hitch (Manufacturer of the U-haul), my AWD is equipped with the appropriate tow prep (heavy duty oil cooling, multiple heavy-duty radiators), so all I had to do is add the main harness.

Back