Brake Squeal When Backing

Force-1

:
2008 CX-9
Drives me crazy! Brakes squeal loudly when I back out of my garage or a parking slot, but never squeal when applied while moving forward. (confused)

Anyone else?

There is a TSB for front brake squeal and rear brake groan.

Front squeal TSB #04-001/08 issued on 1/16/2008
Rear brake groan TSB #04-004/08 issued on 3/14/2008

Good luck (2thumbs)

There is a TSB for front brake squeal and rear brake groan.

Front squeal TSB #04-001/08 issued on 1/16/2008
Rear brake groan TSB #04-004/08 issued on 3/14/2008

Good luck (2thumbs)

Had brake pads replaced under those TSBs long ago.

Not uncommon. The grain of the pads seats to the rotors during forward rotation, so they don't match up as well turning backward. Also, if they are close to worn, the squealer may engage backing up first.

I guess just uncommon for me. I've owned more than 30 cars, to include about 22 new vehicles. Never experienced it before.

I had this problem on my VW Jetta after having a brake job, pads and rear rotors, done at Midas. Every time I backed up the brakes groaned. Had something to do with, as I put it in my own words, going against the grain of the pads. Dunno.

Came back from dealer.... TSB warranty repair is good for 12k miles, so ~$230 if I fix it..... Noted in my records to use the updated pads when I have the brakes done, it'll be awhile tho' with more than 50% remaining.
Back in the 70's VW had a horrible brake squeal problem that they fixed by drilling 3 small holes the size of a #2 pencil lead near the leading edge of the face of the pads. They put the pencil lead in the holes & after a few miles of stop & go driving the squeal went away with no loss of braking power.
I wonder if this'll work on my car?

I have noticed the same as well lately, but only the first time I pull out of the garage. After that they no longer squeel. Do your brakes do it everytime you go backwords, or just the first time?

Back