Auto headlights - Directed Electronics 545T Nite-Lite System

captainbingo

:
09 FWD CX-9 Touring
For those that have a CX-9 without the auto headlight option, here are some installation notes for the Directed Electronics 545T Nite-Lite System, to add the auto-headlamp function. I've also attached some pictures.

Here's the basic wiring:
Main connector
There are three plug blocks right next to the driver's door jam.
  1. yellow wire -> tap onto black/yellow wire on the 3x2 block
  2. red wire -> tap onto blue/red wire on the 8x2 block
  3. black wire -> chassis ground (I added a screw terminal block to the door jam area since I needed several ground connections for other projects)
  4. blue/orange/purple/green wires not connected

Relay block
  1. blue wire -> chassis ground
  2. green wire -> chassis ground
  3. purple wire -> tap onto red/black wire on turn signal connector block (on steering column)
  4. brown wire -> tap onto brown/white wire on turn signal connector block

The pictures attached show the various connection points, and I also show where I mounted the sensor up by the rear view mirror. I also added a switch to the dash panel to turn off the nite lite (hooked to the on/off switch of the unit).

I tried to hook up the nite lite to wiper system (the green wire), but was unable to get that to work (I need a better wiring diagram of the wire system).

This implementation allows you to leave the headlights on "off" and the nite lite system will automatically turn them on at night. But you can always manually turn on the headlights using the turn signal switch (like during raining days). The key to this wiring method is that it makes the dash lights work properly, so when the lights are auto turned on, the dash lights will dim properly. If you wire this up to control the headlamps directly, you have to manually adjust the dash lights.

Hope this is helpful,
- Rudy

Attachments

• p1010462a.JPG
    p1010462a.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 1,768
  • p1010464a.JPG
    p1010464a.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,688
  • p1010465a.JPG
    p1010465a.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,382
  • p1010466a.JPG
    p1010466a.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,240
  • p1010467a.JPG
    p1010467a.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,368
Last edited:
Additional pictures

Attachments

• p1010468a.JPG
    p1010468a.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,080
  • p1010469a.JPG
    p1010469a.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,150
  • P1010470.JPG
    P1010470.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 971
  • P1010472.JPG
    P1010472.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,051
I don't know about anyone else, but this mod is definitely very handy especially when I am so used to my other cars which have these standards. I am too lazy to turn the lights on and off when passing through tunnels. Too bad I have no idea about retrofitting a rain sensor, else I would do that as well since that's also standard in my other cars.

ps: If i could find a GT without any shitload of options added, I would've gotten that...too bad, Mazda love throwing nonsense audio/navi system and stupid moonroof plus some other dumb options as a bundle in cars on every dealer lot I went to. Oh well....

Last edited:
I'll make the decision of when to turn on my headlamps...now to remember to turn them off is something else, thats why I've got AUTO OFF...nuff' for me.

That's why there's also an override switch to do what you just said :) Can't say if it will turn the lights off, but this comes with an adjustable timer which will turn itself off after the ignition is off :)

My CX-9 is a Touring model...all Touring models come with "AUTO OFF"

Sport models may benefit from this mod.

Ick. Boogering up a 30k+ Car just so you don't have to twist a little switch? Pass

Heh, I LIKE boogering up my car. It cost less than $20, I know more about my car's wiring, and yes, I don't have to twist a little switch. Ever. At night, in parking garages, in tunnels, it works like all cars should-turning on the headlights when they are needed (and the ability to turn them off when desired). Auto headlights should be a standard option. Almost every day I still see bozos driving around with their headlights off at night. The road lights are bright enough for them to see, so they forget to turn them on, of course, they are invisible to other drivers.

Well, to top it off, I had fun doing it. I also have installed a DRL module, which I think SHOULD be a requirement on all cars, and added the backup rear view mirror camera, which that was much more like major surgery, but it to was worth it, and I enjoyed installing it.

Heck, we all have power windows so we don't have to spin a little crank, we have remote door locks so we don't have to turn a key (and we all have remotes so we don't have to get up and turn the channel on the TV)...ah the wonderful world of technology. It's all good stuff. (thumb)

Can't really agree on the "ruinning the resale value". This is just like saying, installing the Homelink/Autodim mirror will ruin the car resale value. This unit is probably not labelled as "Mazda" but I bet a bunch of other car manufacturer's OEM these and built them into their cars. DEI made some very good quality alarm system which I knew Honda actually OEM them and use them in their vehicles (not sure about recent yrs, but my dad's 1994 Honda was..lol)

Well isn't this the "How To" section and not the "Comment on my mod" section?

He was doing this mod and took time to take pics and write up a how to and for that I say thanks!

We probably respect him instead comment on our own opinion.
Many of us have at least Touring, but some other may also need this info.
Thanks

The switches on the dash panel are ugly. I completely agree. They are only switch covers, which can be easily replaced. I actually want to use (repurpose) factory switches, but I couldn't find the part numbers. If anyone knows the part numbers for those switches, I would much appreciate that information.

BTW, one switch turns on/off the nite lite system, one switch turn on the rear view mirror camera display at any time (without having to go into reverse) and the red switch is wired to the garage door opener, which I have velcroed behind the dash.

The big white thing on the windshield is an RFID box for the toll roads up here in VA. It's behind the rearview mirror and can't be seen by the occupants of the car, but it's in the recommend location to be picked up by the toll booth sensors.

Last edited:
Ooh, i like the idea of being able to turn on the backup camera on demand. Would love to be able to get the license plates of aholes tailgating me and not because I drive slow.

Other than that, glad I have a GT that does the turning on of the lights for me. I've never had this feature in any of my other cars. It does come in handy not having to remember to turn off your lights when you get out as well.

Don't know that I could live with the big white box on the windshield though.

Last edited:
Except the mirror kit doesn't require drilling holes in the dash and installing ugly toggle switches. In other words, it LOOKS factory, not like a hack job.

You don't have to drill holes if you don't want to, I tuck them in the coin box which I am not using (2thumbs)

Would be nice if they can be replace with an OEM switches - can't find a part no. for that...any idea?

Well isn't this the "How To" section and not the "Comment on my mod" section?

You are quite correct - and I appologise for my comment - I assumed that the white thing on the windscreen was part of the auto-light sensor system. Our E-Toll thingies are the size of a cigarette packet and we generally attach them to the sun visor.

If you were able to replace the toggle switches with OEM then it would be great.

I actually like the idea of wiring in the remote for the garrage door - would save mine rattling around in the cup holder.

Cheers

great post, i just bought a 2010 cx9 and will install one....a question though if anyone knows: it appears there is a factory light sensor installed on the driver-side dash, could this already be prewired for the option? If so it seems using the factory sensor would be a better option..if anyone knows for sure please respond

Hey htw,
The DRL built into the Nite-lite system is an odd duck, what it does is simply override the auto function and always turn on the headlights! (also it does not dim the headlights) There is a red wire in the box that I recommend clipping (it's mentioned in the manual, if I recall), so the nite-lite system functions as it should. The way I installed the nite-lite system is that it essentially by-passes the switch on the turn signal lever (instead of directly controlling the headlights). That way the dash dimming works properly. So I would recommend using both systems, the nite-lite to automatically turn on the headlights, and the separate DRL to turn on the high-beams at 40% intensity.

Thank you captainbingo. The manual does mention to cut the red loop inside the unit. I'll do as you suggested, and install both Nite-Lite and DRL. Thanks again for answering.

Back