Smartkey issue - cannot turn engine to start

bmk007

Good morning

We went to start our CX-9 yesterday, and it appears to be "locked" in the steering column. The ignition won't turn. The car battery is fine. I tried the metal manual key inside the smart key and that doesn't work. We've tried everything. Even if the battery were dead on the Smartkey, would the manual key work?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Are you saying that the actual ignition switch will not turn to start the engine? If so, have you tried turning the switch while by turning your steering wheel to release the pressure of the lock on the switch? Is your CX-9 in any other gear besides "P" this will not let it start or turn the ignition as well.

Are you saying that the actual ignition switch will not turn to start the engine? If so, have you tried turning the switch while by turning your steering wheel to release the pressure of the lock on the switch? Is your CX-9 in any other gear besides "P" this will not let it start or turn the ignition as well.

Yes, the actual ignition switch will not turn to start the engine. We've tried turning the steering wheel.

The CX-9 is in Park. In fact, we cannot even move it into Neutral to push it out of the garage.

AAA is coming to tow it to a Mazda dealer. This is so frustrating.

happened to me before. didn't have to pull the key out - just turned the st.wheel counterclockwise little bit then turn clockwise; while turning the ignition on slowly (like you're loosening it up). you can do it too with the spare key since your smartkey might be dead.

don't worry i believe somebody in this forum talked about this and was no biggie.

you could call the dealership for other suggestions.

Back