Does downpipe upgrade equal smoke?

It seems every one of the video/sound clips on utube, of Speed6's with upgraded exhaust systems including a downpipe, have serious smoke issues (coming from the tailpipe).

I'm planning on getting the CPE downpipe (w/cat) together with their dual catback exhaust. So I'm wondering, are the downpipes responsible for the smoke?

Cheers

the reason that ppl see the smoke is because they eliminate the 2 cats from the exhaust system. that and a bad turbo. but there are ways to cure the smoking, like the ptp fix or simply useing thicker oil in your car.

its not a bad turbo per se, when there is pressure on both sides of the seals/bearings, oil is going to go to the path of least resistance, which is out of the exhaust... stock cats hide this... probably why they put two, where the second cat is not monitored.

No. When you do some sort of exhaust mod, if you're going to smoke, you're giving it it's best chance to do so. Most people think that leaving the exhaust stock covers up the problem, but by adding test pipes and DPs you expose it that much more.

If you're going to go DP, look into a catted one. The turbo seems to like a slight amount of back pressure.

. . . snipped . . . If you're going to go DP, look into a catted one. The turbo seems to like a slight amount of back pressure.
That is my plan, the CPE catted downpipe . . . I was hoping the cat might reduce "the evidence", as you've suggested.

. . . snipped . . . but there are ways to cure the smoking, like the ptp fix or simply useing thicker oil in your car.
Please tell me, what is "the ptp fix"?

cheers & thanx to all

PTP fix is a restrictor pill that goes in the vent hose nipple on the engine cover. It has seen mixed results.

If you're not running it already, switch to 5w-40. Mazda does this if you bring it in for smoking, but it's also a little more robust oil for the engine type we have.

Yup I already use 5w-40 full synthetic oil, BUT, with all the smokin' (stinky & unsightly) goin' on, I'm not so sure about going ahead with this mod.

Yup I already use 5w-40 full synthetic oil, BUT, with all the smokin' (stinky & unsightly) goin' on, I'm not so sure about going ahead with this mod.

Doing a test pipe will be a good indication of whether or not you'll smoke IMO. Removing one of the cats will be a good test to see if you're a smoking candidate. It's not 100%, but if you don't smoke stock, you might not smoke with a TP, and it's a better indication of whether or not you'll smoke with a catted DP.

PTP fix is a restrictor pill that goes in the vent hose nipple on the engine cover. It has seen mixed results.

If you're not running it already, switch to 5w-40. Mazda does this if you bring it in for smoking, but it's also a little more robust oil for the engine type we have.

I was planned on getting a TP in the future. Should I switch to 5W-40 now, if I am not currently smoking, or wait to the test pipe is installed to see if the smoking begins and then switch. Also, if I do smoke, where does the smoke usually come from? The exhaust? Will I see/smell the smoke when I am driving or only at idle?

Last edited:
I was planned on getting a TP in the future. Should I switch to 5W-40 now, if I am not currently smoking, or wait to the test pipe is installed to see if the smoking begins and then switch. Also, if I do smoke, where does the smoke usually come from? The exhaust? Will I see/smell the smoke when I am driving or only at idle?

5w-40 won't hurt anything to switch now. I run Amsoil Euro 5w-40 and have for some time now.

You can add the TP whenever, and the smoke will be noticeable immediately if it will. It might develop over time, but that remains to be seen.

Best thing to do now as a good check is to drive on a cold motor 5 miles, park it, and let it idle for 15-20 minutes. You'll see smoke (not steam, which will dissipate) from the exhaust within that period. If not, you're good for now.

To comment on Steve's post above, I just want to point out that several users are also using Rotella T-synthetic 5w-40 (including me). It's quite a bit cheaper ($25 or so for 6 quarts at Wal-Mart). It's been shown in several oil analyses to maintain superior properties throughout a 3,000 mile life cycle. In the end, use what you want. I just wanted to throw another option at you. Good luck!

. . . snipped . . . Best thing to do now as a good check is to drive on a cold motor 5 miles, park it, and let it idle for 15-20 minutes. You'll see smoke (not steam, which will dissipate) from the exhaust within that period. If not, you're good for now.
So you are saying that with the downpipe upgrade, some of our cars will spew the smoke & some won't?

If, when doing your above "test" (quoted), and there is no (or little) evidence of smoke from the exhaust after the 15 minute idle, it's likely a downpipe upgrade will not result in a smoking exhaust?

cheers

So you are saying that with the downpipe upgrade, some of our cars will spew the smoke & some won't?

If, when doing your above "test" (quoted), and there is no (or little) evidence of smoke from the exhaust after the 15 minute idle, it's likely a downpipe upgrade will not result in a smoking exhaust?

cheers

Yes, to some degree. The more restrictions you remove from the stock exhaust, the more noticeable any smoke you may produce will be.

I suggest you do the test and see if you smoke. If you pass that, then you'll probably be fine with a test pipe. If you put the test pipe on and don't smoke, then a DP will probably be fine (catted of course).

Problem is, there's no exact science to this. When you start playing with things, you open yourself up to potential risks, like smoking. There isn't a 'be-all end-all' formula for this.

Thank you for all the input.

BTW . . . the video/soundclips on the Corksport site for their complete turboback exhaust system uses their resonated racepipe. I would imagine their catted racepipe version would be a lot louder . . . know of a sound clip anywhere?

Now that I've listened to it a bunch of times, I think the Corksport turboback dual may actually sound better than the CPE dual (and costs less) . . . but the CPE downpipe "looks" more highly engineered, but I ain't no engineer so what do I know.

Cheers

I can't tell you about their catted pipe. However, I can tell you that when I first put their cat-back exhaust on with a straight test pipe it was loud as hell. I actually had to buy their race pipe (resonated) in order to be able to take the car on long trips.

I installed the corksport turbo back system. Smoked for about four days, but has gone away. Sound is amazing, install wasn't too bad. I have catch-can and "pill" installed.

Im a pretty early production 6 and im running catless with 5w40 and no smoke as of yet.

my buddy and his 2007 speed 3 has an atp catted dp ane he he smokes.

Back