window rain guards

While the stick on type can pull off, we've had them for over 40K miles so far including quickie car washes and they still stick like crazy on an 03 Honda CRV.
I had the inside channel type on another car, and one of the windows would not always seal well. Sometimes I'd have to run the window motor twice to close it completely.
That is expected the first time you install them, but supposedly they get better. Somehow I got the impression the windows were not sealing 100% even when they seemed to work fine. That certainly may vary with a particular car, but if I was to get them again, I would probably go back to the stick-ons.
Worse case, one 'might' come loose, but it is not likely if you install them cleanly. And I think that is better than an interference fit in the window channel that might not seal as well, or put additional strain on the window motor.

Last edited:
I used the 3M tape ones on many cars and have never had a problem with them coming off. I actually had some on a lease vehicle and it was a pain to get them off when I turned in the lease.

Yup! those 3M adhesive deflectors work great. I had them on a previous vehicle and they were very secure and sturdy. As long as you clean the surface with alcohol thoroughly those things will stick like flies on $hit....LOL!

I also have the runchannel type (Weathertech) on my wife's Escape and those have not lasted that long. I will be re-applying the adhesive strip for the third time. The problem is that the runchannel type go inside the runchannel (obviously) and you can never get the surface as clean, plus everyime you roll up/down the window it rubs up against the visor and creates friction between them not to mention it slightly strains the motor in the window regulator. If there is a benefit to the runchannel type to the outside mounted ones is that it does look nice and clean.

Back