Got into fight with Service Manager over Engine Knock!

mihalis

So we brought in my wife's CX-9 to get a tire rotation and to get this problem with the engine "knocking" right when you first fire it up. It goes away after it warms up. They said it was a "TSB." Mazda called me to do a survery, and I said they never explained what a "TSB" was, so I was not satisfied. I got a call from the service manager, he said it's not a TSB, I told him that is what they wrote on my report, he stated it wasn't. I told him I tried running the car on premium, even recently switched to sythetic oil, and nothing. He said by switching to syn oil I made matters worse! I said to him that with syn oil it should have improved as it's thinner and runs through the engine much quicker. He said I need to come in and get a Mazda oil change and that should fix the "problem." I told him the only way I will be satisfied is I went there and he fired up several CX-9's and they all did the exact same thing. He said to come by and we will do that, but he said they have been working on these engines for years and never had any problems. So being pissed off that I was, I went and checked my service receipt after I talked him, it said TSB! What an ass, I wish I got BMW customer service sometimes.

Sorry to hear the problem you have.

As for BMW dealer service, you definitely don't want to try the dealership near where I live. In short, they are no different than a Hyundai dealership other than charging you an arm and a leg for everything....
I used to own a BMW '98 540iA for 10 years. The most unreliable POS I have ever owned. It was fun to drive while it worked, though.

Hope the knocking problem is resolved soon.
I think the knocking problem has something to do with the variable valve lifting mechanism. Is it vacuum-based? If so, the vacuum may be leaking when it is cold.
My CX9 has no such issue at all.
Sure, when it is cold, it seems a bit "lazy" (i.e. VVT seems not at work).

I too have an engine click when starting up, but after 45 seconds or so the sound eases out when lube flows over all parts. BTW I too am using full synthetic (Mobile 1).

I know there is a TSB for the VVT actuator making noise on startup but its directly related to the 4cyl engine..Basically on startup the actuator doesnt have proper oil pressure and it has excessive play causing noise on startup until pressurised.....Not sure it it relates to the CX-( V6 or not....

Thanks for the replies guys. It now has 9500 miles, so it will go in for an oil change soon, and I'll take it back to the jerks for a tire rotation. I told the guy if this engine really does make this sound when first fired up, let's start up a couple of CX-9's and hear it. He really did not want to do that, but I told him that is the only way I will be satisfied and not b**** to Mazda anymore.

Sorry to hear the problem you have.

As for BMW dealer service, you definitely don't want to try the dealership near where I live. In short, they are no different than a Hyundai dealership other than charging you an arm and a leg for everything....
I used to own a BMW '98 540iA for 10 years. The most unreliable POS I have ever owned. It was fun to drive while it worked, though.
QUOTE]

I hear what you are saying. The first BMW dealer I called, I got a bad vibe from them, so I didn't go in. The one I went to on a regular basis after that was great. It was down the street from my house, and they really took care of me and my car. I think they were even excited that I used to take my car to DE's, autoX, and ADSS, all the time. Any other car company finds out that you ran your car on the track, and they void your warranty. BMW lets you pick up your car at the track!!! (burnout)

Back