Sirius Starmate install using ProClip

ljmattox

:
2012 Mazda 5 Grand Touring
Finally got around to installing my Sirius Starmate5 this morning. Ultimately, I'm going for some great GPS-providing head unit that'll integrate Sirius directly, but for now I'll use this Starmate with the factory radio on my Sport.

I used some Ram mounts on my Miata for my Starmate4 in there, however I found ProClip mounts that looked pretty slick, and used one here for my 5.

Here goes:

HPIM1009.JPG

The ProClip goes on by wedging its "clips" between dash panels, in this case the HVAC control surround and the vent surround. Their website has photo instructions, worked perfectly. Once it's on, you need to put on the adapter plate for your specific device; the "male" half of it gets screwed onto the clip.

HPIM1011.JPG

Then you attach the "female" half to your device, in this case my Sirius cradle.

HPIM1013.JPG

So here it is mounted...the cradle slides on, is friction-secured by the interference fit of those two device adapter halves. Pretty slick. I'm happy with the angle and position, they make a tilt/swivel adapter if you want something different.

HPIM1015.JPG

Sorry about the reflection, just showing that I mounted the antenna in the upper right corner of the dash. Folks on the forum here said they'd run theirs inside with good results, I put mine in temporarily and drove around some...everything worked without issues.

HPIM1018.JPG

Focus here sux, too little light for my shaky grip on the camera, but anyhow you get the idea how inviting and easy it was to route the antenna cable down that channel between the A-pillar and the dash, then behind the door weatherstripping and ultimately through the glovebox. I stuffed the excess out of sight behind the passenger kick panel.

Still finalizing the power routing...I want to put a 12v source inside the glovebox and put the Sirius plug/transformer in there out of sight. Works swell though, at the moment, very satisfied, even with the imperfect cord management.

Last edited:
Hi,

Would you mind posting a picture of your glove box opening while in alignment with the receiver? I'd love to see...

Let's say you open the passenger door, take a wide angle and a zoomed picture showing the dash and side of the unit.

Thank you

Hi again and thank you for the pictures.

When I first read the post, I had concerns about the glove box opening. Now I have a concern about the air bag if ever it should open. Will the radio break open the bag, will the bag send the radio flying somewhere and cause more injuries?... got to think about this one.... I am looking for a place to install my GPS other than in the windshield. My wife can not reach that far...

Sure, no problem.

Here's one more angle, from about eye level in the passenger seat:

HPIM1049.JPG

It looks like the airbag has a very good chance to miss the radio on the way out; that top-of-dash lid will open and the bag will deploy upward/outward. Hopefully I won't ever have to test that theory! :eek:

If you're willing to drill a couple of small holes...with RAM mounts you could have quite a few more choices. I used a RAM mount on my Miata; placed a ball-mount base on the side of the center panel, with a 1.5" arm and ball-mount adapter for the GPS unit.

Here's a typical RAM mount...my Miata isn't handy or I'd just grab a shot or two from it, you get the idea I'm sure.

RAM%20mount%20example.jpg

The adapter mount for most GPS wouldn't look as big/bulky as this illustration.

Back