Rear Air Controls

hawkeyehep

:
2008 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring AWD
Can't seem to get the rear air controls working. I thought pushing the rear control switch in from activated the rear temp and fan dials but nothing seems to make them work. Any suggestions?

"...I thought pushing the rear control switch in from activated the rear temp..."

Sorry. I don't quite understand that statement. "from"=>"front"?

There is a button on the dash labelled "Rear Control". Once it is activated, the dials, and buttons on the rear control penal should work. If not, it is probably broken. Check fuse first. If not, bring it in.

OK. Stopped by the dealer this morning and found out the following peculiarities with the 08 CX-9 heater controls. First, with the system set to Auto, the rear controls do not work. Second, for heating, with the rear control switch on the dashboard on, the rear controls work but with the rear temp set to the hot range, air only comes out the rear floor vents. The rear upper vents are only for cooling with the air conditioner. Seems a little wierd but now I know it is working as it was designed. Guess the Mazda engineer who designed it wore heavy sweaters but had cold feet!

OK. Stopped by the dealer this morning and found out the following peculiarities with the 08 CX-9 heater controls. First, with the system set to Auto, the rear controls do not work. Second, for heating, with the rear control switch on the dashboard on, the rear controls work but with the rear temp set to the hot range, air only comes out the rear floor vents. The rear upper vents are only for cooling with the air conditioner. Seems a little wierd but now I know it is working as it was designed. Guess the Mazda engineer who designed it wore heavy sweaters but had cold feet!

Unless I understand you incorrectly you got this all wrong. The controls indeed only function "independently" (cold OR hot) if the "rear controls" switch on the fwd panel is engaged (auto not on). If you are using AC and the unit is turned on cold settings, cold air will indeed come out of the "upper vents" for the mid-bay seats only (nothing for rear seats 6 & 7 for AC). If you set the mid-bay seats control to hot/warm, hot or warm air will pass through the floor vents for mid-bay seats and the rear seats 6&7.

Your comment suggests neither vent passes warm air (based on comment about Mazda engineers). Mine works fine as described in my 08' CX9.

Back