best place to get cross drilled rotors and pads.

Jfields21

Hey everyone, So i went to the dealer and the want $500 for factory rotors and pads. I can do the work my self and wanted your thoughts on which ones to get. And maybe get pointed in the direction of where to buy. Thanks.

Firstly, slotted/drilled rotors are a useless modification that actually hurt the braking performance and are not required for today's modern brake pad materials, as they don't build up gasses that would need to be vented, like old pads would. Secondly, why would you need them for a luxury touring SUV?

Buy stock blank rotors and good pads and call it done.

we have warped 2 sets already. I need something that is less prone to that. This is the only reason I am thinking of doing an upgrade.

Well drilled and slotted rotors won't help that. As I said they're pointless.

How hard are you constantly on the brakes to warp 2 sets on a relatively new car? That's the only way to warp them is to overheat them.

No, brake vibration, usually incorrectly referred to as 'warped rotors', is not caused by overheating. The number one cause is brake pad deposition. The only other cause is over-tightening the lug nuts. Overheating can cause cracked rotors.

I replaced the poorly speced stock rotor/pad combo with SP Performance parts. I got them through Topbrakes. I got the slotted rotors, DO NOT use drilled rotors. There aren't many other aftermarket choices and I won't use EBC or Hawk due to numerous issues with either. I have been very happy with the SP on both my CX9 (and my Nissan Titan, which has the same crappy rotor/pad issue).

Why put better brakes on a luxury SUV? For the same reason you would on any vehicle. No vibration issues and better stopping.

Last edited:
Why put better brakes on a luxury SUV? For the same reason you would on any vehicle. No vibration issues and better stopping.

I didn't say to not use better brakes, I said not to waste money on something that wouldn't help (even if they made them), thank you.

Firstly, slotted/drilled rotors are a useless modification that actually hurt the braking performance and are not required for today's modern brake pad materials, as they don't build up gasses that would need to be vented, like old pads would. Secondly, why would you need them for a luxury touring SUV?

Buy stock blank rotors and good pads and call it done.

No, you recommended using the same stock crap.

Save yourself the money--if your rotors are that new, get them machined for next to nothing at an auto parts store, and if it makes you feel better upgrade to some better pads. You likely have plenty of rotor material left... and pad material at that.

Drilled/slotted rotors aren't going to prevent your "warped" rotor issues.

The main issue with CX-9 rotor replacement is that the quality of the factory rotors are terrible. I have a sneaking suspision they are off shore rotors. If you live in a high density traffic area, warping and cracking can be a real problem. Yes overheating will contribute to warping especially if you run through water puddles. The Centric rotors I used to replace my originals are much better material and allow for better cooling and heat absorption. If you are going to put new rotors on I would stay away from drilled and/or slotted. The CX-9 is heavier than a standard sports car so more stopping area on the rotor always helps. BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVER TORQUE THE RIMS.

Let me rephrase myself, smartass.

Higher quality BLANKS and good pads. Happy?

JC-MP5, I just can't keep it to myself anymore. No matter how mad you may get on the board I just can't take you seriously with that avatar. (poke)

.....jest in good fun.

Don't take this the wrong way... but your solution to replacing the allegedly poor-quality factory rotors with some ultra-generic drilled and slotted rotors from the internet?

Wow, defensive much? You posted up asking for input on brakes, and got upset when you didn't hear what you wanted to hear.

I never said the factory rotors were poor quality; that was you. As to your intended replacements, they are indeed about as generic as you can get... I am just curious why you think these rotors will be any better than your OEM rotors, when you can get high quality rotor blanks for less than than that.

wasnt trying to be defensive. I just was asking if you had used them. I did get some installed and am very happy with the new brakes. They stop a 1000 time better than before. Thanks for all the advice.

I recently had to replace the rotors/pads in my Accord due to "warping." I went with EBC slotted rotors and Hawn pads. I should have spent the extra cash and just got frozen rotors from "PowerSlot." Those are my favorite rotors, I will never buy EBC again. Here is something else to look at...

http://www.brakeworld.com/catalog.asp?page_id=items&catid=1

I've never tried them, but good luck, they should be pretty awesome.

You'd piss your pants riding with me. And it does run like a finely tuned watch.

I highly doubt it. Sounds like we both drive the same way...(rockon)..already had my CX9 over 110mph racing my friends VW GTI Turbo Golf. (drive2) When the wife and kids aren't screaming in the passenger/back seats my tires are.......(nailbyt)

Gotta love this wagon on steroids!!

PS-I used to live in Phoenix and my brother/sister went to NAU in Flagstaff. Quite familiar with you location.......loved AZ!!

L8tr....

Back