wtb: catless downpipe

toMMy_O, please add your location to your profile

thanks (2thumbs)

Look in to getting a downpipe made at an exhaust shop. Should be less expensive then getting a used or new one.

bingo. the midpipe runs from the cat-back up through but not including your S-pipe or your J-pipe depending on who you ask. some people/companies include the J pipe as part of the downpipe, some include it as part of the midpipe.
you just missed one that ran from the catback up to but not including the j pipe. there will be more.

A mid pipe to me is what is in between the the catted pipe and the muffler. Guess it has to do with your born on date as to the semantics used to describe what the OP was clearly referring to. I had a catless one made for my other boosted Mazda and wish I would have done the same thing for the MSP after having to replace the POS flex hose used on my Apex catless downpipe.

midpipe is the one with the cats on it, and can (doesn't necessarily) include the J section. SLS makes a piece that both does and does not include this piece.

Mostly this is because there is an O2 bung on the J section that the proteges use, and the same bung is between the cats (about 3' futher back) in the middle of the pipe on the MSP. either will bolt up to any protege, its just a question of how much work will need to be done to rewire the secondary 02.

Call it whatever. I know the four cylinder exhaust system diagram on my other turbo Mazda list the middle pipe exactly as I described it. Any exhaust shop that you go to have one made will know exactly what you are referring to when you say, "fab up a downpipe for me".

Back