D'oh. Yoko Parada Spec X backordered

harryhood

:
2008 CX9 GT AWD
After my wife complained about spinning out in the CX9 the other day during amild snowstorm when she took a left hand turn very gently, I decided it was time to replace the shyte Duellers. Based on forum advice, the Yokohama Parada Spec X were tops on my list. I tried TireRack, Discount Tire, and calling a few local stores. Unfortunately, in every case, the tires are backordered for at least 2 months in the stock size, and even in 255/50R20 they are backordered until next month. Not sure my blessed wife will wait that long. She is pissed.

Anyone have any leads on these tires? Looks like anyone without them in stock is calling Yokohama and finding them backordered.

If you're in Colorado, I'd put some Blizzaks on it for now, and get the Paradas when spring comes. If you want a more performance oriented snow tire, look at the Blizzak WS-60.

Good thought, but paying $250 a tire plus 4 wheels isn't in the budget. I can spend about $200 per tire on this. If I went with winter tires now I'd probably pick something else for summer.

Of course, right now, I don't seem to have many options at all other than going winter tire or trying one of the others (Toyo, Michelin).

The cheaper Blizzaks he's referring to are the DM-V1's. I bought them along with some 18 inch rims for around $1300 from tirerack. Not a cheap option, but necessary for me. Didn't trust the Duellers at all and I needed something that could get me up to and back from the mountains and something I could put chains on and the Paradas in the 20's wouldn't have worked.

So I found Paradas in 255/50R20. I know a few of you are using 255's in either this or other brands. How is that working out, especially as it relates to performance and winter traction?

Has anyone tried or have feedback on Perrelli Scopion 245 50r20's?

i have'em and love'em. quiet, smooth handling, great traction on dry and wet, also fine on light snow. no chance to test on ice but realize these are all-seasons and not dedicated snow tires. then again, i got'em for $100 each so i considered them a deal at the time. tirerack has them more in the $125+ range now so i would've gone Yoko Parada Spec-X instead since it wasn't as great a deal. in terms of actual quality it would seem the order would go Yoko, Michelin Latitude, Pirelli, Goodyear, Bridgestone Dueller (OEM) for 245 50R20 size all-seasons.

Has anyone tried or have feedback on Perrelli Scopion 245 50r20's?

We bought our car from Carmax. The Bridges were done and I told the salesman no deal unless they replaced the tires. They put the Scorpions on in the 245/50/20. Nothing to really compare against. They are quiet and ride well. They also take to the handling capabilities of the CX-9 very well and they keep steering on-center feel very tight at all speeds. I recommend them if you need tires. They look pretty good too.

Edit: Holy cow, just went to TireRack. Huge price drop from last week. They were $250 each last week.

Last edited:
one oddity right now on tirerack is that the "H" rated Pirelli Scorpion STR As are cheaper than the "T" rated ones....talk about a no-brainer, buy the better speed-rated tire at a cheaper price?

Probably life expectancy. Compare the tires treadwear ratings. I bet the T rated is higher.

As for the Pirelli Scorpion STR, I'd guess it tracks road grooves more than the Paradas. One of many reasons I chose the Yoks.

How can one tell if one tire will track grooves more/less than another? I would love to know any tricks as this is a pet peeve of mine. Same with cell phones- you just don't know until you use it.

So I found Paradas in 255/50R20. I know a few of you are using 255's in either this or other brands. How is that working out, especially as it relates to performance and winter traction?

I have them, much better than the OEM tires, just got back from an errand in 4" of wet snow and everything was good. I was afraid they would look off being slightly taller but they don't (IMHO). If anything I think they fill the fender gap a bit better.

Probably life expectancy. Compare the tires treadwear ratings. I bet the T rated is higher.

As for the Pirelli Scorpion STR, I'd guess it tracks road grooves more than the Paradas. One of many reasons I chose the Yoks.

actually the T is lower rated (i know this b/c when i bought them they were much cheaper than the H rated) which is why i thought it was odd.

FWIW, i actually have had no trouble with tracking on road-grooves (but i have never had Yokos to compare) and we certainly have our fair share in Northern NJ.

Just got the Perelli Scorpions

4 new tires, $137 a piece but seem well worth it. Quiet, possibly more quiet than the duelers. And they handle great. Dealing with a ton of rain here and now in So.Cal-- and these tires are cutting through massive puddles like a hot knife. Digging them so far :)

Bump -- The 245's finally came in on TireRack, so I ordered them and now have them mounted on the CX9. So far, very nice. Smoother ride than the Duellers (which had about 15k miles on them when we ditched them). No real tryouts in snow yet but I'll keep everyone posted.

Last night I heard an ad on the radio for tirevan.com. Apparently they come to you with a truck and install new tires at your home. I checked them out just now and they have the Spec-xs for about $718 installed (w/ tax and everything) in my area. Compared to tirerack.com which is $683 w/ shipping and then another $60 to mount them is $743.

It looks like they're only in the DC area right now. I might give tirevan.com a shot in a few weeks...

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like a great deal.
Keep us posted about it. Some pictures of the van would be nice as well if it is OK with them.
I would like to see what machines they carry inside the van.

Such a great idea! I hate waiting around at tire stores. Plus I can watch them without having to crane over a yellow "safety line".

Back