spark plugs

matrixxx

:
mazda 2 2009 swap 1.6
somebody know the number parts of the spark for mazda 2 1.5? ngk, denso, autolite..
preferably ngk, is the best..

Two 1.5s in Greece(mine too) and other in Japan are using Denso Iridium Power IK20 setted to 1.1mm and work ok!Little less power at low end and a bit more power at high rpm.

They are also cheaper than the oem spark plugs if bought from Mazda.

I couldnt find the part.n for ngk.If you do it,inform us.

MODEL DEMIO
CC 1500
VEHICLE CODE DE5FS
ENGINE ZY-VE
FROM 07.7
TILL
DENSO FK16PR11(OEM:ZY5118110(FoMoCo brand)OES:ZYY118110(Mazda brand))
GENUINE P/N ZYY1 18 110

ngk table

p1070340g.jpg

p1070341.jpg

my spark plug ZJ46 18110 (SK16PR-E13)

p1070332.jpg

p1070334k.jpg

Xm,indeed your gasoline there is pretty bad.

The best fuel there is 95 octane?You don't have a 98 octane or 100?

As i can see you should use a bit "colder" spark plug, as IK20

Xm,indeed your gasoline there is pretty bad.

The best fuel there is 95 octane?You don't have a 98 octane or 100?

As i can see you should use a bit "colder" spark plug, as IK20

yez, if what I did was use ngk .. oem used grade 5, I'm using one degree colder, (6)

BKR5EXI-11

doesn't euro use NOC? and USA uses RON?

I actually do have a set of Denso IK20s (from my WRX).. but I will have see if the threading is the same..

hi, is there anything to do with the fuel octane to spark plug types? sorry this is a noob question :) should i change my spark plugs because as of now, im using OEM and the gasoline that is recommended by the mazda is 93 octane only (unleaded). thanks.

The "Octane Rating" is the resistance to knock or "pinging" which can damage the engine. Basically "knock" is when the air/fuel mixture ignites other than when the spark plug fires. Usually, too soon, which beats on the pistons.

Raising the octane rating (better gasoline) lowers the risk of Knocking. You can also add Octane Booster or tolulene to raise the octane rating.

A "colder" plug might also prevent knocking but might be more prone to fouling on cold days or idling.

On the US Honda Fit, a plug change has been found to produce a couple HP. No idea if that would work with the M2.

I'll find a link.

John

I am familiar with the HP that can be gained by sparkplugs in the Fit and was curious if the 2 would have similar gains...But isn't that mainly on supercharged applications? I believe it was Oscar Jackson at Kraftwerks that found out about the plugs and is talking about low-boost supercharged models. Here is his post.

Edit: Nevermind, I just read this article in Honda Tuning.

Looks like there were a couple of HP gained on a NA 2009 Fit with the same spark plug change... Anybody got access to a dyno to try it out?

Last edited:
so basically, if i have a mazda 2, 1.5L and my fuel here in Philippines is 93 octane what kind of spark plugs is preferred?

will it also be the same spark plug if i switched to 95 octane? thank you in advance. :)

Thanks Richard! I won't have to find that link after all.<LOL>

Redhax, whatever sparkplug (and gasoline) works for you. Most modern cars have knock sensors which, when they detect knock, will "back off" the ignition timing to stop it. When the ignition timing is retarded, performance and mileage usually suffer a little. If your gas mileage increases with your 95 octane, I'd run that. It might take a few tankfuls of both types to get good baselines.

Something like a Scangage (sp?) might be able to tell you the ignition timing your computer is spplying.

If you go to 95 from 93 (no dea how that relates to US gasoline) the current sparkplug should be fine.

John

Thanks Richard! I won't have to find that link after all.<LOL>

Something like a Scangage (sp?) might be able to tell you the ignition timing your computer is spplying.

John

Stock with 87 octane shows a few degrees to 50+ degrees with my scangauge. With variable timing, I'm not sure what else you can do with that info other than being glad when your timing is above 40 since your MPGs are higher in that range.

Back