Chains

fraochdha

Going to the snow in a couple of days, just for a day or two and want to be prepared. i've GT AWD package with the 20s, should I get chains/Cables for all four, or just the rear two or front?

I understand that Mazda and everyone here says to steer away from Chains, and go with Cables... but to what degree?

thanks

Last edited:
Good luck finding anything to fit the 20's. I couldn't. They're not recommended by Mazda to be put on the 20's.

I did find tire cables for my GT (size listed on the box).
Bought it but never had the chance to actually install it.

However, I suspect that Mazda is right. Any tire cable will likely scratch the 20" wheel when it is actually installed and driven on. Don't risk it.
With proper snow tires, your CX9 with AWD should do well on snow.
If you must find an All-season, Yoko Parada Spec-X is the best I know of for CX9.

will it be fresh snow? Where are you? If you're going to a place that frequently gets snow the plows will prob. have gone through and their will be sand down. You should be fine, even with a bit of snow on the ground. Chains/cables are for the places where snow plows can't get to and it's been layered with ice....i.e. snows 12"+, melts during the day, refrezzes at night, etc. for a few days.

Back